Kentucky Woman Suffrage
Name of Historic Site:
Event(s)/Use associated with woman/group/site:
End of suffrage parade of 50 automobiles and 20 women on horseback, included a folk dance by Lincoln schoolchildren and a suffrage speech by Rev. J.M. Maxon, 1 May 1915
Lexington Fayette Urban County Government, Martin Luther King Neighborhood Association
Years of Importance:
On the morning of May 1, 1915, the Vice President of the Kentucky Equal Rights Association, Mrs. E.L. Hutchinson of Lexington, led nine women on horseback at the head of an automobile parade through downtown Lexington before reaching Duncan Park. They began on Third Street at Gratz Park, went west to Broadway, from Broadway to Main Street, where they went the full length east to Ashland Avenue. Then from Ashland to Maxwell Street and from Maxwell they marched to High Street then north on Limestone back to Main Street - and then retraced their way to Upper Street, to Third Street and out to North Limestone Street to reach Duncan Park. Nearly 50 automobiles were decorated in suffrage colors and most driven by women. Several children from Lincoln School rode the parade route in a special bus, and then performed a folk dance on the lawn in front of Lord Morton's house. Miss Julia Hogarty led a band which played during the parade and at the park. The schoolchildren sang a suffrage hymn to the tune of "America," and then Mrs. F.O. Young, an officer in the Fayette County Equal Rights Association, introduced the main speaker: Rev. J.M. Maxon. A former rector of St. John's Episcopal Church and president of Margaret College in Versailles, KY, he gave a stirring speech entitled: "The Victory is Won, An Inspiration for Future Work." He spoke from a platform that was draped in yellow and "Votes for Women" banners. See the full description of the event (and a transcription of his speech) here.