Red Cross Sanitarium building, Louisville, Kentucky, 1920. The sanitarium, later the Red Cross Hospital, was located at 1436 South Shelby Street. Founded in 1899 by local African American health care activists, including Lizzie Green Bates.The hospital was originally in a private residence at 6th and Walnut Sts. (now Muhammad Ali Blvd.). It moved to this location, 1436 South Shelby Street, in 1905 where it went through several expansions over the years. The hospital was segregated until 1953 and closed in 1975.
Snipped from photograph by Caufield & Shook Collection in University of Louisville Photographic Archives.