Postdoctoral Fellow in Environmental and Technological History
Laboratory for Environmental and Technological History
Center for Historical Research
St. Petersburg, Russia
The Higher School of Economics Laboratory for Environmental and Technological History of the Center for Historical Research in St. Petersburg, Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in the field of environmental and technological history. We are particularly interested in applications on either of these aspects: history of natural resources, including history of scientific expertise; history of technological innovations and urban mobility; industrial and natural heritage. The application can focus on the crossroads of all three themes. We invite scholars with a strong record who employ interdisciplinary approaches and are capable of publishing in peer-reviewed academic journals.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centres and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD in the field of History or Social Sciences and Humanities related to environmental studies (including environmental humanity) or STS (Science, Technology and Society studies) or related areas which was awarded over the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background in humanities or social sciences related to environmental studies or science and technology, skills in digital humanities would be an advantage, ability to work in team.
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of Russian is not required;
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- working under the direct supervision of professor Julia Lajus, head of the Laboratory;
- participants are encouraged to pursue their own research along with working on Laboratory`s research projects such as:
- history of natural resources
- technological projects of socialism
- Cold War encounters in environment, science and technology,
- industrial and natural heritage and tourism, especially maritime and northern
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals in co-authorship with the members of the Lab;
- participation in the events of the Lab and other contribution to the Lab’s development;
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the academic community;
- some teaching is encouraged, though not required.
Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via an online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring laboratory may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 9, 2020.