Gorgias Press is delighted to announce that the 2018 round of the international Classical Islamic World Book Prize (CIW) is now open. The CIW will recognise three exceptional early career contributions to the academic study of the classical Islamic world. In particular, the CIW will invite scholars from across the world to submit unpublished monographs that are either revised PhD theses or first Postdoctoral monographs, written in English or German.
The winners of the CIW will be announced in September 2018. The winning submission will be awarded an inscribed glass plaque, a contract to publish their monograph under Gorgias Press’ Islamic History and Thought Series, and $500 worth of Gorgias Press publications. Prizes will also be awarded to the second and third place submissions. The panel of judges is as follows:
- Professor Maher Jarrar - American University of Beirut
- Dr. Harry Munt - University of York
- Professor Ahmed El Shamsy - University of Chicago
- Professor Adam Talib - University of Durham
Dr. George Kiraz, Editor-in-Chief of Gorgias Press, said:
‘‘The Classical Islamic World prize is an important part of Gorgias’ longstanding commitment to supporting unique and valuable research on both the Islamic world and the wider Near East across Late Antiquity. Most importantly, the prize will highlight and support the important work being carried out by young academics at a point in their careers when such support is most needed.’’
To enter a submission, please send the following information, in pdf format, to email@example.com:
- Covering Letter: This should include your name, contact details/affiliation(s), and the names/affiliations of your supervisors, if applicable.
- Letter of Support: In a maximum of 700 words, provide an abstract of your thesis/monograph and describe what unique contribution your book makes to the field.
- References (optional): Provide up to two letters of support from supervisors, or established specialists in the field who are familiar with your book, on the originality and value of the work.
- The manuscript
The deadline for submissions will be Wednesday 28th February 2018 (midnight), with the winners announced in September 2018. For more information about the CIW's previous winners, the submission guidelines and criteria, and the judging process, please contact Gorgias Press’ Islamic Studies editor (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit thecompetition webpage.
*Please note that if a submission has been supervised by a member of the judging panel, a substitute judge willl be appointed.