Beth Mardutho Online Syriac Course
Beth Mardutho holds annually a summer school where Syriac I and Syriac II are offered. This year, a number of students will be permitted to attend the courses online using Google Hangouts. At this time, there is still one spot open for Syriac I. Students who would like to be considered for this spot should submit an application (details below).
Before submitting an application for consideration, please make sure that you meet the following requirements:
1. An Internet connection of at least 3.2 Mbps download and 3.2 Mbps upload. You can test your connection speed at www.speedtest.net. For maximum quality and reliability, you should use a wired connection.
2. You need to have a Google account to use Google Hangouts. If you sign into any Google service (Gmail, YouTube, etc.), then you already have one.
3. Desktop/laptop or tablet computer:
- A quad-core processor is ideal, but other processors might work.
- Windows 7 or later, macOS 10.10 (“Yosemite”) or later, Chrome OS 57 or later, or recent versions of Debian-based operating systems
- Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Safari
- Internet Explorer and Safari also require the Hangouts plugin.
- iOS 9.0 or later and the Hangouts app, or Android and the Hangouts app (The version of Android required for this app varies by device.)
4. Quiet environment. There cannot be background noise when the class is in session.
If chosen, you should be available for a 30-minute one-time orientation session with other online students.
You should also connect 5 minutes before each class session to establish and test your connection.
Class Level and Schedule
Classes will be in session from July 31 until Aug 18, 2017.
Syriac I is for students who have no prior knowledge of Syriac. Classes meet 9 AM until noon EST.
The course fee is $875, payable once the student is chosen.
Interested students should send an email to the instructor at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details (please put “BM Online Syriac course” on the subject line):
1. Please state that you are applying for Syriac I.
2. How much Syriac have you done in the past?
3. What other Semitic languages do you know and at what level?
4. A confirmation that you meet the technical requirements above.
5. In which country do you live?
6. Tell us about the room environment from where you will be joining the class.
This slot will be available until filled.