The Alcohol, Drug, and Tobacco Study Group (ADTSG) of the Society for Medical Anthropology invites submissions for the best graduate student paper in the anthropology of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, pharmaceuticals, or other psychoactive substance use. A committee of ADTSG members will judge qualifying submissions. The author of the winning paper will receive a cash award of $100, and her or his name will be announced at theSociety for Medical Anthropology awards ceremony at the American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting in November. Submissions from all anthropological sub-disciplines are encouraged.
• No more than 9,000 words
• Must be based on original fieldwork and data
• Must have been written in the past 12 months
• Primary or first author must be a graduate student at time of submission
• May be unpublished or submitted for publication at the time of submission
• Originality of fieldwork and data
• Richness of substantive or evidentiary materials
• Clarity of anthropological methods
• Linkage of work to social science literature
• Effective use of theory and data
• Organization, quality of writing, and coherence of argument
• Please do not include your name or any identifying information in the paper itself.
• Papers must be double spaced and in PDF format (please include page numbers).
• References and in-text citations should be formatted according to Chicago Manual of Style.
• Please submit via email to Shana Harris, Chair of ADTSG, at email@example.com
• Submissions must be received by 5:00PM EST on July 1, 2017, for full consideration.
Questions may be directed to Shana Harris at the above email address. We look forward to your submissions!