Call for Applications
The Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center and the Slavic Reference Service at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are pleased to announce that they will continue to accept applications for Virtual Title VIII Associates to participate in the Spring 2023 Open Research Laboratory (ORL) on a rolling basis through April 5, 2023 or until all awards are made.
Applicants who are U.S. citizens and who are conducting policy-relevant research may apply for a Title VIII Virtual Research Award to support their associateships. These awards provide a research stipend of $500 in support of their work. We encourage graduate students and early career scholars to apply for these virtual funded associateships.
The ORL program runs through May 3, 2023. Those who prefer to conduct research in the summer months are encouraged to apply to the Summer Research Laboratory (SRL), which supports a larger cohort of researchers mid-June to early August. Funded in part by the U.S. Department of State's Title VIII Program, the ORL program provides research support for graduate and post-graduate level research on Central and East Europe and the Independent States of the former Soviet Union. Specialists including advanced graduate students, faculty, independent scholars, and professionals in government and non-governmental organizations as well as library science are encouraged to apply.
Awarded on a competitive basis, and in addition to the Title VIII virtual research stipend, ORL support will include:
- Reference assistance from SRS for general and specialized queries throughout the spring and beyond;
- Access to our Library’s digital and database collections for an extended period;
- Use of the Library's technological resources, including a free of charge duplication service for University of Illinois Library materials, limited to 20 pages per request and subject to copyright restrictions;
- Invitations to participate in virtual scholarly programming (lectures, workshops, etc.);
- The help of REEEC staff in answering logistical questions related to your virtual visit.
- Associates may apply for personalized bibliographic sessions with SRS (priority given to graduate students and early career scholars).
For more information and to apply, please visit:
Should you have any questions about the ORL, please do not hesitate to contact us at: