This message is forwarded from the African Studies Association - we will post more details about Lusophone African events closer to the meeting, but please note below, featured lectures by Alcinda Honwana, Anne Pitcher, and Rafael Marques de Morais!
For more information about the meeting, including the preliminary program, see http://www.africanstudies.org/
Pre-Registration for the 60th Annual Meeting Closes September 30!
If you have not yet registered for the ASA Annual Meeting, make sure to do so before pre-registration closes on Saturday, September 30! Registration rates will be higher if you register on-site. Attendees at the 2017 Annual Meeting will be able to attend over 300 panels and roundtables, participate in pre-conference workshops, watch film screenings and more!
Keynote Speakers and Special Events include
- Welcome Reception at the Chicago Cultural Center
- Pre-conference Workshop on Web Presence and Podcasting
- Pre-conference Workshop World on the Horizon: Swahili Arts Across the Indian Ocean
- Film Screening of Félicité with filmmaker Alain Gomis
- Film Screening of Hissein Habré: A Chadian Tragedy with filmmaker Mahamat-Saleh Haroun
- African Studies Review Distinguished Lecture, “Youth Struggles: From the Arab Spring to Black Lives Matter and Beyond,” by Alcinda Honwana
- Presidential Lecture, “ASA at 60: Advocacy in an age of Tyranny”, by Anne Pitcher
- Women’s Caucus Luncheon and Lecture, “Black Feminist Futures”, by Alondra Nelson
- Hormuud Lecture, “A Journey for Rights and Dignity: A Participant’s Observation”, by Rafael Marques de Morais
- ASA Awards Ceremony and Dance Party
The 60th Annual Meeting will also feature a dynamic Exhibit Hall, receptions and business meetings for coordinate and affiliate organizations, podcast interviews and drop-in sessions, sessions organized by the ASA Board, the Program Committee, and the Local Arrangements Committee, and more! Check out the Preliminary Program for more information about the activities planned at this year's meeting.
Is the Annual Meeting a family affair for you? Make sure to sign-up for childcare, offered through KiddieCorp. Space is limited, so sign-up today! Pre-registration for childcare will close on October 17.
Hotel reservations at the Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile can be made via this link to use the ASA’s negotiated rate of $249 a night. Reservations must be made by October 30 to use this rate, so book today!
If you have any questions about the ASA Annual Meeting, please contact the ASA at firstname.lastname@example.org