Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.
CALL FOR PAPERS & PANELS
14th ECPR General Conference | University of Innsbruck, Austria | 26 – 28 August 2020
European Security and Foreign Policy in a Multipolar World Order: Crises, Adaptation, and Strategy
Convenors: Dr. Cornelia-Adriana Baciu (Johns Hopkins University, Washington DC)
Assoc. Prof. Delphine Deschaux-Dutard (University of Grenoble, Grenoble)
Abstract & Objectives
This Section aims at generating an academic discussion between various theoretical and methodological approaches to study security cooperation and transformation at different levels of governance in the European security and transatlantic landscape, as well as the power dynamics, institutional constraints and normative factors that can influence them. This Section is guided by two axes of research: (1) European security policy, integration and cooperation – drivers, consequences and challenges and (2) EU foreign policy: strategy, EU as a security actor, transatlantic relations and NATO. All paradigms, methodological approaches and schools of thought will be considered in equal measure.
Topics of Panels and Paper abstracts might include, but are not limited to:
- Costs, benefits, incentives and obstacles of security and defence cooperation in the framework of multinational collaborative mechanisms or alliances (e.g. PESCO, FNC, PfP, UK-France, EU-NATO).
- European security integration. Causes and consequences of change, adaptation and transformation of security policy, defence, foreign policy and strategic culture.
- EU as a security actor and the emerging geopolitical situation. Strategy and new visions of peace.
- NATO, US foreign policy and transatlantic cooperation.
- New and emerging security technologies and their impact on the democratic order
Application Procedure and Publication
- Propose a Panel with 4-5 Papers or an individual Paper: https://ecpr.eu/Events/SectionDetails.aspx?SectionID=961&EventID=132
Papers presented in this Panel will be aimed to be published in a Special Issue of a high-ranking academic journal.
Deadline for abstract submission is 19 February 2020.
Dr. Cornelia-Adriana Baciu
Foreign Policy Institute, SAIS | Johns Hopkins University
1717 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Room B873, Washington DC
2019. Peace, Security and Defence Cooperation in Post-Brexit Europe. Risks and Opportunities. Cham: Springer International (ISBN 978-3-030-12417-5) (with John Doyle).
2019. European Security in Integration Theory: Contested Boundaries, Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 57(4), pp. 915-916. (Book review)
2019. European strategy in the 21st century: new future for old power, International Affairs, Vol. 95(4), pp. 948-949. (Book review)
2019. EU-UK Security Cooperation after Brexit:Towards a ‘Special Dialogue Framework’? Atlantic Community, Berlin.
2019. Security Transformation and Multilateralism: The Future of Irish Defence and Foreign Policy. Irish Studies in International Affairs, Vol. 29, pp. 97-117.
2019. The Effects of Brexit on the Future of European Security Order and NATO: An Assessment. DCU Brexit Institute, Dublin (with John Doyle).
2018. From Guardians of the State to Guardians of Democracy? Institutional Change and Military Democratization in Insecure States. In Comparative Civil-Military Relations in the Changing Security Environment, pp. 365-389.
2018. The Brexit Deal and Foreign Policy: The UK’s ‘Global Positioning’ between the EU and the US. DCU Brexit Institute, Dublin.