This page is a leftover list from the earliest days of our former listserve incarnation, before my time here even! It hasn't been touched for years and would benefit from some serious updating and upgrading. Anyone care to take charge of this resource? Let me know at email@example.com
Organizations to join:
- Vernacular Architecture Forum
- Association of American Geographers (AAG)
- Association for Gravestone Studies (AGS)
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
Journals to read:
- Upton, Dell and John Michael Vlach, eds. Common Places: Readings in American Vernacular Architecture (Athens: University of Georgia Press,1986).
- Groth, Paul and Todd Bressi, eds. Understanding Ordinary Landscapes (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1997).
- Glassie, Henry. Material Culture. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. 1999.
- Williams, Michael Ann. Homeplace: The Social Use and Meaning of the Folk Dwelling in Southwestern North Carolina. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 1991.
- Zelinsky, W. The Cultural Geography of the U.S. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall. 1973.
Important scholars in the field:
- Henry Glassie,
- Michael Ann Williams,
- Kingston Heath,
- Dell Upton,
- John Vlach,
- Catherine Bishir,
- Frank Francaviglia,
- Allen Noble,
- Peirce Lewis,
- Paul Groth