Please consider the very best of your students’ work from last fall and this coming spring terms for inclusion in a poster session at next year’s meeting of the International Society of Landscape, Place, and Material Culture in Salt Lake City (October 18-21). For the second time, this poster session will be the basis for awarding the ISLPMC’s Wilhelm-Keiffer award for best poster presentation delivered by an undergraduate student.
In honor of the contributions of both Dr. Hubert Wilhelm and his protégé, Dr. Artimus Keiffer, the Wilhelm family has generously agreed to sponsor the Wilhelm-Keiffer Student Research Award, which will provide undergraduate students, and recent graduates, with the opportunity to compete for a research award in the field of material culture studies.
This award includes a $250 reimbursement towards conference travel, a reimbursement of the student’s conference registration and awards banquet, a one-year ISLPMC student membership, and an engraved plaque.
- Students in any ISLPMC-relevant field (Geography, Preservation, Material Culture, Landscape Architecture, Landscape Studies) who are working toward an undergraduate degree in an accredited program, or who have graduated from such a program within one academic year of the submission deadline, are eligible for the Wilhelm-Keiffer Student Research Award. Work presented on the poster must be from undergraduate work.
- The applicant will present a poster at the annual ISLPMC meeting during a designated Poster Session. The poster and accompanying presentation should demonstrate 1) scholarly merit, 2) quality topic selection and organization, and 3) well-crafted uses of theory, methodology, and field work.
- The deadline for submissions is August 1, 2017. A 250-word abstract (the same as what is submitted with registration) accompanied by a one-page statement of the student’s interest in material culture, broadly defined, must be sent to the Wilhelm-Keiffer Award Chair by the deadline. Submissions for the award should be sent as a Word (.doc/x) or PDF document directly to the Wilhelm-Keiffer Award Committee Chair, Dr. Chris Post, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions may also be directed to Dr. Post, Dr. Elizabeth Vidon (email@example.com), or Dr. Ellen Hostetter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The winner will be notified at the conference.
- Full guidelines for a poster’s preparation, presentation, and evaluation, are attached to this email and available on the ISLPMC website (http://www.pioneeramerica.org/awardwilhelm.html). Interested students should also consult the (http://www.pioneeramerica.org/annualmeeting2017.html) for complete conference information.