Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.
UnderCurrents: journal of critical environmental studies has extended the call for scholarly and create submissions for its next volume, volume 22 “Below.” In this volume, we seek to explore what is going on beneath the surface in an effort to confront, expand, and/or interrogate existing understandings of the subterranean and subaquatic. We ask: How does the condition of being subsurface affect understandings of these physical environments and/or perspectives? We particularly encourage submissions that consider moments, places, and processes in which the subterranean and subaquatic interact. Possible areas of focus for submissions include, but are not limited to:
- Relationality, agency, cosmology, and personhood below the surface
- Sites of the buried (e.g., caverns, crypts, catacombs) and sunken (e.g., shipwrecks, urban/coastal flooding, underwater cities, seafloor mining)
- Indigenous knowledges, philosophies, and lifeways of underground/underwater worlds
- Black geographies (e.g., McKittrick, 2011) and abolitionist ecologies (e.g., Heynen and Ybarra, 2021) of the subterranean/subaquatic
- Milieu-specific analysis (Jue, 2020), terrestrial bias, and surface politics and their refractions (following Todd, 2018) through underground/underwater environments
- Socio-ecological impacts of extraction and discard in subsurface environments (e.g., Montoya, 2016)
- Bodily relationships, metabolism, and the deep as bowels, entrails, and/or ‘guts’
- Oceanic, abyssal, and Tehomic agencies (e.g., Keller, 2003; Mentz, 2015)
- Limit biologies, extreme ecologies, and life in the deep
- Bodies as water-bodies and mineral-bodies in subterranean and subaquatic pedagogies, ontologies, and epistemologies
You can learn more about this call on our website: https://currents.journals.yorku.ca/index.php/currents/announcement/view/161.
The deadline for submissions is:
Scholarly and Creative submissions - Extended to Dec. 1, 2022, 11:59pm EDT
Book Reviews - Jan. 15, 2023, 11:59pm EST (no extension)
We especially encourage graduate students to submit pieces. This is a great way to have a first experience with publishing.
About the Journal: UnderCurrents is a collectively- and student-run academic journal based out of the Faculty of Environmental & Urban Change at York University in Tkaronto / Toronto, Canada. UnderCurrents explores relations among environment, culture, and society. We are committed to publishing a variety of scholarly, creative, and activist work that critically engages with conceptions of the environment and seeks to break down traditional interpretations of the world around us.
Laura Tanguay (Editor-in-Chief) & Melvin Chan (Managing Editor)
UnderCurrents: journal of critical environmental studies
277 Health, Nursing, and Environmental Studies (HNES) Building
Faculty of Environmental & Urban Change | YORK UNIVERSITY
4700 Keele Street Toronto ON, Canada M3J 1P3