I am seeking participants in a professional development panel at the upcoming Sixteenth Century Studies Conference, in New Orleans, LA (16-19 October, 2014) on the topic of surviving the job market. The panel will be geared toward sharing advice and experiences with graduate students and new faculty. Participants will be asked to give a brief (5-10 minutes) presentation. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
- how to target applications to get past the first cut
- what do search committees really do?
- how to deal with nightmares (being asked illegal questions, panicking during a presentation, handling travel cancellations, etc.)
- interviewing while finishing the dissertation
- interviewing while holding another job
- trying to get the "right" research and teaching profile
- what to do when your competition includes your friends
Please send any inquiries or responses directly to me at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2014.
Kathleen M. Comerford
Professor of History, Georgia Southern University