Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.
Submission Deadline: 28 February 2018
Open Panel - OP 191. Urban migrants and transformation of public space
(Convenors: Zdenek Uherek and Giuliana B. Prato)
18th IUAES World Congress (http://www.iuaes2018.org/), Florianopolis, 16-22 July 2018
Throughout history, cities have adapted to movement of population. In many cases, they have also been gateways to the rest of the country. Newcomers affect changes in the urban infrastructures and bring new lifestyles. Places of contact between locals and newcomers have expanded beyond the public square, as cities are now dominated by hotels, headquarters of multinational corporations and other meeting places. Social networks and other online facilities add to this.
The panel builds on recent publications by members of the IUAES Commission of Urban Anthropology that address current trends in urban diversity worldwide, stimulating critical comparative analysis. This panel focuses on how cities respond to socio-demographic movements, asking whether cities resist, try to regulate or adapt to them, and how urban migrations change over time. We invite papers that address the following questions:
- What parts of the heritage can be preserved in the transforming cities?
- What are contemporary visitors looking for in cities?
- How do local merchants and other service providers deal with change, and to what extent can they be said to be local?
- How do local political elites respond to these changes?
- How do people of different ethnic and religious backgrounds co-exist?
- How do the poorest dwellers respond to change and to immigration?
- How do these changes affect the public space?
Paper proposals should be submitted online at: http://www.inscricoes.iuaes2018.org/trabalho/view?ID_TRABALHO=536
The deadline for online submission is: 28 February 2018