Submitted by Charlotte Bank:
Ernst Herzfeld Award for Master Theses in Islamic Art History and Archaeology
Call for Applications
Deadline November 13, 2022
The Ernst Herzfeld-Gesellschaft für Islamische Kunst und Archäologie | Ernst Herzfeld Society for Studies in Islamic Art and Archaeology is pleased to announce the third edition of the Ernst Herzfeld Award for Master Theses in Islamic Art History and Archaeology. The aim of the award is to encourage and support emerging scholars in Europe who are working on visual and material culture of Islamic countries in the fields of Art History, Archeology, and Historical Building Research. The Ernst Herzfeld Award highlights the diversity and innovation of current research in these growing fields. The successful candidate is honored at the annual colloquium of the Ernst Herzfeld Society, offered a full travel grant to present her/his master thesis at the colloquium, and is granted publication of the presented paper in the series of the Society, Beiträge zur Islamischen Kunst und Archäologie (BIKA).
- Outstanding master thesis (MA, Master, M.phil., and similar) on a topic situated within the research fields of History of Islamic Art and Architecture, Islamic Archeology, or Historical Building Research on Islamic Architecture.
- The thesis must have been written and supervised at a European university. For this call, theses are eligible that were fully reviewed and marked between January 1, 2020 and November 13, 2022.
- Accepted languages of the thesis are: German, English, French, Italian, and Spanish.
- Applicants are proposed by the supervisor of the MA thesis.
- Applications include 1) the complete MA thesis as it was submitted (PDF); 2) a summary in English (3 pages); 3) the completed recommendation form by the proposing supervisor; and 4) the original official review/evaluation of the thesis for/by the university, at which it was submitted.
- The review procedure is jointly organized by the award and steering committee as well as the advisory board of the Ernst Herzfeld Society.
- Proposing supervisors are excluded from the review procedure and the peer-review.
- Applications fulfilling the criteria of eligibility will go through a peer-review by the joint committees and by external reviewers.
Please send the complete application by November 13, 2022 to email@example.com
The recommendation form to be filled out by the proposing supervisor is available with this link: http://ernst-herzfeld-gesellschaft.com/wp- content/uploads/2022/10/EHG_Award_Supervisor_Evaluation_Form_2022_final.docx