Submitted by Mariam Rosser-Owen:
Call for Papers: Africa Fashion
18th – 19th November 2022
Organised by Elisabeth Murray and Dr Christine Checinska (V&A)
Organised in conjunction with the V&A's exhibition Africa Fashion (https://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/africa-fashion, 2nd July 2022-16th April 2023), this conference provides a forum for the sharing and exchange of ideas and knowledge around contemporary African fashions. The exhibition celebrates the irresistible creativity, ingenuity, and unstoppable global impact of contemporary African fashion creatives.
African creatives are shifting the geography of global fashion. The vitality of the scene is irrepressible, its creativity limitless. This conference seeks to expand the current field of research, recognising the abundance of fashions across Africa, as varied and diverse as the continent itself, and the myriad ways of thinking about them. It will take an interdisciplinary cross-cultural approach. We welcome contributions from all sectors, including but not limited to, the academic community, fashion and textiles practitioners, designers, artists, photographers, industry experts, and museum professionals.
The conference focuses on fashion on and from the African continent from 19th century to today. Topics may include, but are not limited to:
• African fashion creatives as agents of change – including explorations of gender, sexuality, and intersectionality; narrating histories; politics and soft power
• Contemporary African fashions and Pan-Africanism – collective power, community, global connections
• Fashions, Textiles and Afro-futurism
• African fashions around the world
• The contemporary African fashion scene – stylists, photographers, models – innovative practices
• Representation and redefinitions of African fashions – the industry, media, museums
We invite proposals for both 10-minute and 20-minute presentations, from creatives thinkers at all stages of their careers. We particularly welcome contributors from the continent. The conference will be hybrid, and you can choose to present in person or via videocall, please note your preference in your submission.
Please send a title and abstract (max. 300 words) and a brief bio to firstname.lastname@example.org by **25th July 2022**.
Notification to speakers 1st September 2022.