The international conference “Maqdala at 150” will take place during four days, from April 10 to April 13, 2018, in parallel to the historical events that, 150 years earlier, led to the fall of Maqdala and the death of Tewodros II. The conference will be organized by Gondar University on its campus in partnership with three other universities: Debre Tabor University, Amba Maqdala University (to be opened yet) and Bahir Dar University.
While the main focus of the conference is an historical episode, the academic profile of the participants shall include historians as well as experts in folklore studies, literature, archaeology, anthropology, philology and political sciences and also intellectuals and heritage professionals. The topics of the conference will be related to the life and times of Tewodros, his vision for Ethiopia and the African continent, the political and cultural history of Ethiopia in those times i.e the relations of Ethiopia with foreign powers during the modern era, to the places where Tewodros lived and exerted his power and to the legacy of Tewodros and his time in modern and contemporary Ethiopian and African societies. Some of the questions, but by far not the only ones, the attendees may want to ponder are:
- How has Tewodros II been interpreted, portrayed, and imagined in Ethiopia and beyond?
- What is the state of the historiography on Tewodros II and his time today?
- What was the contribution of Tewodros II and his time for the present society?
- What has been the fate of the Maqdala treasures until the present day and what role do they play in the contemporary plea of non-western nations for the return of their national heritages?
- What were the cultural, artistic and intellectual developments that characterized Ethiopia under Tewodros II?
Participants are invited to submit until September 25, 2017 a paper proposal in English or Amharic, including a title and an abstract with no more than 300 words, at the organizer’s official email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for proposals: September 25, 2017
Notification of acceptance of proposals: October 25, 2017
For more information and updates, visit the conference’s website at http://maqdala150.org/.