Recognizing the need to critically transform museums, Fwd: Museums strives to create a space for challenging, critiquing, and imagining alternative modes of thinking and production within and outside of museums. This journal is produced by the University of Illinois at Chicago’s Museum and Exhibition Studies Program.
In response to the 2016 election and its immediate aftermath, the theme of our third issue is “alien.” What does it mean to be “alien”? How can we unpack the term “alien” in the context of museums and cultural institutions?
Submission topics may include, but are not limited to:
· Museums as sites of social and political resistance
· Museums as sanctuary spaces
· The politics of representation
· Investigating the ways objects are labelled within collections
· Issues of repatriation of cultural heritage
· Community engagement/detachment
· Examples of resistance in digital spaces
· Alienated labor
· Othering of marginalized groups
· Queering museum spaces
· Experiences of alienation as a visitor
Fwd: Museums invites academic articles, essays, exhibition/book reviews, artwork, creative writing, experimental forms, and interviews. All submissions should follow the guidelines and relate to the journal’s mission statement. We strongly encourage reviews and interviews and require all other submissions to connect to the third issue’s theme, “alien.” Scholars, artists, practitioners, and activists from all fields are welcome to submit.
– Deadline: January 5, 2018 by 11:59 pm (CT)
Therese Quinn, Director of Museum and Exhibition Studies, University of Illinois at Chicago, 929 W. Harrison, MC 201, Chicago IL 60607