CALL FOR PAPERS
International Sub-Saharan Migrations to and through Turkey, and information and communication technologies
19-20 May 2022
Istanbul and online
International migration is an extensively studied subject, but academic research has so far paid less attention to some countries and topics. Mobility between sub-Saharan African countries and Turkey is among the latter. Another neglected area is the use of information and communication technologies (ICTs) in international mobilities considered peripheral. Recent research on the use of these technologies in migration processes is conducted mostly in European and North American destination countries.
This conference will focus on international migration from sub-Saharan countries to and through Turkey, with a comparative horizon of African mobility to other parts of the world; and on the multiple uses of ICTs in these complex mobilities.
Paper proposals for this conference may address the following theoretical and empirical topics, but do not need to be strictly limited to them:
- aims, targets, planning, resources, technological tools and experiences in migration contexts between sub-Saharan African countries and Turkey
- circumstances in the countries of origin that inspire and stimulate international mobility
- contingent circumstances or longer-term institutional factors, or legal frameworks affecting migrants’ decisions
- migration policies and regulations in the sub-Saharan African countries and in Turkey
- formation of trans-national households, trans-border or trans-continental romantic liaisons, or networks of friendship and support
- transfers of money that make possible financing migration or joint business ventures of migrants in sub-Saharan countries and Turkey
- diversity of African migrants in terms of cultural background, social class, level of education, social and religious life in migrant communities,
- subjective dispositions of the migrants, their motivations, strategies and (digital) agency
- different uses of ICTs by migrants, NGOs and other stakeholders, including institutional actors,
- digital activism and digital advocacy networks
- (digital) humanitarianism in migration contexts
- epistemological and methodological issues in migration studies on sub-Saharan migration to Turkey and elsewhere and on ICTs.
We welcome 500-word abstracts in English, French or Turkish by 15 February 2022. Please include authors’ names, titles, email addresses and institutional affiliations. Proposals need to be in .doc or .docx format and submitted to the following e-mail addresses: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
We will inform the authors of the proposal abstracts by 22 February 2022. We will then have a deadline for the submission of the first full drafts of the accepted papers on 30 April 2022.
The conference will be organized online and in Istanbul, Turkey, at Kadir Has University, under the auspices of two research projects: the first is funded by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK 2232 International Fellowship for Outstanding Researchers); the second (IP37) is a part of the National Center of Competence in Research on the move funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation.
We expect to publish a selection of the papers presented in this conference as an edited volume with an international academic press.
Guler Canbulat (PhD), Postdoctoral Researcher
Kadir Has University, Istanbul, Turkey