Call for Papers
WASTE IN ASIA
International Conference, 9-11 June 2016, Leiden University (the Netherlands)
We invite proposals for papers exploring the theme of 'Waste in Asia' from the perspective of the humanities and social sciences, regarding both the present day and the past. Possible topics might include (but need not be limited to) waste collection and recycling, food waste and its prevention, packaging, dustbins, and other forms of material culture related to waste, garbage art, digital waste and waste-related literature. We particularly welcome papers that focus on social, political and cultural contexts influencing attitudes, practices and policies related to waste across Asia, as well as their social, political and cultural consequences.
We aim for this event to be truly cross-disciplinary and hope that the theme will attract anthropologists and sociologists, as well as historians, geographers, archaeologists and specialists in visual and performing arts, cultural studies, literature and film.
The conference will be hosted by the Leiden University Institute for Area Studies (LIAS) and funded by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). It is part of the activities undertaken within the framework of the Garbage Matters Project (www.garbagemattersproject.com).
- The conference will open in the morning of Thursday 9 June and will end on Saturday 11 June.
- The conference is open to the public, but those wishing to attend should register in advance by sending an e-mail to WiA2016@garbagemattersproject.com with 'Registration: Waste in Asia' in the subject line. No registration fees will be charged.
- The organizers will cover travel expenses (economy-class airfare to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport) for participants presenting accepted papers. Meals and accommodation will be provided free of charge for paper presenters.
- The language of the conference will be English.
- Please consult the 'Waste in Asia 2016' section on our website for more details: http://www.garbagemattersproject.com/waste-in-asia-2016/
SUBMITTING A PAPER PROPOSAL
- Deadline: 10 December 2015
- Submit your abstract of 200-300 words in an e-mail (no attachments) to WiA2016@garbagemattersproject.com.
- The subject line should read 'Abstract: Waste in Asia 2016'
- Include a brief biographical statement (max. 150 words)
- We will let you know whether your proposal has been accepted by 10 January 2016
Klarijn Anderson-Loven, PhD
project manager VICI project 'Garbage Matters: A Comparative History of Waste in Asia'