Call for funding application 2016
Masters – Doctoral - Post-Doctoral students - Senior Researchers
Deadline: 1er December 2015
Within the framework of its research programming, the French Institute of South Africa (UMIFRE 25, USR 3336) finances certain research projects in the Human and Social Sciences on Southern Africa. All funding applications from research units, researchers and students for research work, field work, events or publications for 2015 must imperatively reach us before the 1st of December 2015.
Nationality will not be a condition for application, although the existence or prospect of a long-lasting partnership between France and Southern Africa is essential.
Financial contribution from another institution is highly desirable. In all cases, funds allocated by IFAS will not exceed EUR - 2 000.00.
Applicants will receive replies by email during January of 2016, after their projects have been examined by the members of the Research Council for Africa of the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs. All applications will be taken into consideration. However, priority will be given to applicants whose research is in line with the research programs of the Institute.
- Archaeology, History and Memory
- Archaeology and multidisciplinary studies of Middle and Late Stone Ages, rock art.
- Medieval, early modern and modern history of Southern Africa, integration of Southern Africa in Atlantic and Indian oceans circulations, history of knowledge, sciences and techniques.
- Current issues of memory in Southern Africa, historical régimes.
- Democratic Transformations and Urban Dynamics
- Democratic mutations in Southern Africa, electoral dynamics, citizenship and its transformation, identity policies, education, language policy, nation-building processes.
- Geography and urban studies, historical development of Southern African cities, governance, access to public services, adoption of “best practice” models, migration, xenophobia, spatial justice, right to the city, city memory.
- Comparative Development Economics, economic policy, sector-focused studies, Formal/informal labour.
- Sustainable development, environmental justice.
Note: IFAS has a regional mandate covering ten countries in Southern Africa (South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Angola, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana and Namibia). All projects touching on these countries are therefore welcome.
List of documents to enclose in the application:
- A short introduction letter from the applicant, to include in the e-mail;
- A detailed description of the research project not exceeding 10 pages and containing the scientific project, a research agenda, institutional partnerships, indications regarding the dissemination of results;
- A provisional budget indicating the amount of total funding, other sources of funding applied for and obtained, funding required from IFAS (nature of expenses);
- A CV of the candidate;
- A reference letter from the research supervisor (for students) addressed to IFAS Director, Adrien Delmas;
- The application form filled in electronically.
Selection process of applications:
Please, send the application by email with a single pdf document attached, containing all the enclosures (including the form and the reference letter) to Adrien Delmas, IFAS Director at email@example.com
Deadline for applications: 1st December 2015
Replies will be sent to applicants by e-mail after validation by the Research Advisory Committee.
Camille Forite: Project manager at French Institute of South Africa
Tel: +27 11 403 04 58