‘Demons Good and Bad’ — An interdisciplinary perspective
27–28 October 2022, Trinity College Dublin
Demonology has been significant in human life throughout history, and is of continuous relevance for multiple aspects of human life. Its scope of influence spans from ancient to contemporary times, and applies to multiple disciplines, such as religion, history, philosophy, politics, anthropology, sociology, literature, language, arts, culture, environmental studies, medicine, or psychology. Nevertheless, so far the academic study of demonology has only gained a limited scholarly attention. This conference is part of a wider effort to supply scholars of demonology with a framework for interdisciplinary cooperation, development and dissemination of their scholarship.
Adequately juxtaposed with Halloween 2022 celebrations in Dublin, the Demons Good and Bad conference will explore the ambivalence of demons, e.g., in terms of their perceived spatial location, morality, physical essence, and functionality; their decline and rise in recent times; and implications of their perceived presence in multiple aspects of human life.
We are pleased to confirm that Prof. Julian Goodare (University of Edinburgh) will be the keynote speaker.
Potential paper topics will explore demons and ambivalence within contexts such as:
- Demons in history
- Demons in religious texts
- Demons and medicine
- Demons in literature
- Psychological demons
- Demons in visual arts
- Demons, knowledge, science
- Demonic and demonized animals
- Human-demonic relations
- Demonic and demonized humans
- Cinematic demons
- Demons in popular culture
- The changing symbolisms of demons within/ across tradition(s), culture(s), society(ies) or religion(s)
- The changing significance of demons across interconnected disciplines, such as religion, society, economics, nutrition, etc.
- The proceedings of this conference will be published in a peer-reviewed volume.
- Abstracts of approximately 200 words submitted by 15th January 2022
Dr Zohar Hadromi-Allouche email@example.com