The Language Attitudes and Popular Linguistics Area of the Popular Culture Association is seeking presentations on any language attitude or language-related popular culture topic, such as:
- the language attitudes of X (for example, new baby greeting cards, truck drivers, student writers, first generation immigrants, etc.)
- issues with prescriptivism
- language and advertising or other media;
- professional, corporate, or other industry-related language;
- dialect, code-switching, or historical studies of language and language attitudes;
- animal or extraterrestrial communication;
- language and education, including pedagogical approaches;
- gendered communication or other sociolinguistic topics;
- language and popular literature or television/film
- language and censorship;
- first and second language acquisition;
- any topic that relates to popular linguistics or language attitudes.
This year’s conference will be held in Seattle, WA, April 13-16, 2022 (https://pcaaca.org/conference).
All Proposals & Abstracts Must Be Submitted Through The PCA Database (https://pcaaca.org/conference/submitting-paper-proposal-pca-conference). Please submit a proposal to only one area at a time.
Submission Deadline: November 15, 2021
Undergraduate Students wishing to present in the Language Attitudes & Popular Linguistics Area
The Language Attitudes & Popular Linguistics area of the PCA gladly ACCEPTS papers from undergraduate students. Please view our Guidelines for Undergraduate Students, which can be found at CFP on the PCA/ACA Website:
There are no specific undergraduate panels in this area. Undergraduate student presentations will be scheduled in the session which topic best aligns with the student’s own subject matter.
2022 CONFERENCE DATES AND DEADLINES
August 1, 2021: 2022 Conference Information Available on website
September 1, 2021: Submissions Open
October 1, 2021: Early Bird Registration Begins
November 15, 2021: Deadline for Paper Proposals and Grant Applications
December 16, 2021: Early Bird Registration Ends
Regular Registration Begins
January 1, 2022: Regular Registration Ends
January 2, 2022: Preliminary Schedule Available
February 1, 2022: Presenter Registration Ends at 11:59 pm
Non-registrants Dropped from Program
April 1, 2022: Online Non-Presenter Registration Ends
April 13 – April 16, 2022: National Conference in Seattle
All presenters must be current, paid members of the PCA and fully registered for the conference. Non-presenters who attend the full conference must also pay membership fees.
The last day for all refunds is February 15, 2022. No refund requests will be honored after this date. Membership fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
James G. Mitchell, Ph.D.
Salve Regina University