Once a year, supported by the Peters Beer Foundation as well as the Marga und Kurt Möllgaard Foundation, both part of the Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft (Donors’ Association for the Promotion of Humanities and Sciences in Germany), the Max Weber Foundation (MWS) confers Gerald D. Feldman Travel Grants to young academics with an international focus.
The travel grants are meant to improve the career opportunities for humanities and social science academics in their qualification phase. The scientists conduct a self-chosen research project in at least two and at most three host countries which are home to MWS institutes and branches or at the Richard Koebner Minerva Center for German History (for a list of the host countries please see "Countries and regions"). The total term of funding shall not exceed three months. Placements (at most one month per host country, shorter stays are possible) are to be used for research, especially in libraries and archives. Academics are expected to produce transnational and transregional studies, providing research with new and original ideas. The research placements should ideally be completed within 12 months, or at most 24.
Important note: Due to the current pandemic situation, research placements can be postponed beyond the period of 24 months – subject to financial resources and in consultation with the Central Office.
Funding is based on the rates of Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft and covers:
- documented travel costs for travel to the foreign institute and back (least expensive route);
- daily rates between € 27.00 and € 62.00 depending on the host country;
- lodging in one of the institute’s inexpensive guest rooms depending on the host country chosen and on availability.
COUNTRIES AND REGIONS
China, Czech Republic, Egypt, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Lebanon, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, Singapore, Turkey, USA
When planning the travel, the continuously updated information from the authorities, in particular from the Robert Koch Institute, and the relevant travel information from the Federal Foreign Office must be observed. The travels are at the recipients of Feldman travel grants own responsibility. Depending on the situation, the start of the travel can be postponed.
Applications for the country of the applicant’s main place of residence will not be considered.
Research placements in Germany are only eligible for funding if the recipient plans at least two more stays at the foreign institutes or the Richard Koebner Minerva Center for German History.
CONDITIONS FOR APPLICATION
Applications may be filed by highly qualified humanities and social science academics of any nationality (highest degree must be at least a Master, M.A., state examination or German Diplom) who have already published and can present a research plan. Applications for projects related to research priorities pursued by the Foundation’s institutes/branches will take precedence.
The selection criteria are:
- Academic excellence
- Transnational topic
- Submitted project contributes to further academic qualification
A re-application is only possible if this has been explicitly stated in the rejection letter.
Employees and scholarship holders of the MWS are excluded from the application process.
All application papers must be submitted in German or English. A complete application will comprise the following information:
- completed application form;
- a detailed presentation of the intended research project (max. 3–5 pages), stating the sources which justify the stay in the specific host countries or at the institutes;
- copies of certificates (examinations, PhD certificate);
- list of publications;
- a reference opinion from an expert which should provide information on the applicant’s status and the progress of work and be sent directly to the Max Weber Foundation’s central office;
- a letter confirming supervision by the host institution in Germany, if applicable.
Please e-mail your application by using the required form (see https://www.maxweberstiftung.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Bewerbungsformular_Reisebeihilfen_2021_ENG.pdf) to
Information on how to send your application data to us in encrypted form can be found here: https://www.maxweberstiftung.de/en/foerderung/verschluesselung.html
The deadline for applications is 8 October 2021.
Dr. Tim Urban