Guest Editors: Jenny Olin Shanahan and Ellen Scheible (Bridgewater State University)
Equipping undergraduate students with the skills to express themselves and communicate their research results effectively has far-ranging impacts, from providing a measurable outcome of undergraduate research in coursework and programs to building interpersonal experience for college graduates as they pursue further education or professional paths where they will discuss complex subjects with nonspecialist audiences.
For this theme issue of Scholarship and Practice of Undergraduate Research (SPUR), four to six articles of 2,000–3,500 words each are sought that examine some aspect of developing writing and communication skills in undergraduate researchers. Vignettes of 300 words also are invited that offer succinct, creative approaches to the theme. SPUR is excited to partner with College English on this theme issue for summer 2022.
Topics of interest include the following:
- Course-based undergraduate research experiences (CUREs) in English courses, as well as other pedagogical approaches to advance undergraduate research writing and communication skills
- Interdisciplinary methods that build writing and communication skills in undergraduate researchers
- Teaching and mentoring practices that engage “reluctant writers” and diverse student populations
- Partnerships among campus units such as writing centers and libraries
- Studies that assess student writing outcomes
Submission details. Submit a 300- to 500-word prospectus to https://spur.msubmit.net, describing the focus of the proposed article or vignette. Please indicate in the prospectus whether the proposed piece is an article or a vignette. Invited authors will be notified by August 16, 2021. All invited manuscripts undergo peer review, and vignettes undergo editorial desk review. Final articles and vignettes will be due October 25, 2021.
Jenny Olin Shanahan, SPUR guest editor
Assistant Provost, Bridgewater State University
Clement C. Maxwell Library, Rm 330
10 Shaw Road
Bridgewater, MA 02325