Theatre Nohgaku is happy to announce the Noh Training Project Online's Utai Primer.
This course is an introduction to the chant (utai) of classical Japanese noh in the Kita School style. It isn’t necessary to speak Japanese or have any prior experience with music or theatre to participate.
WHAT: Summer Intensive noh chant Course (https://www.theatrenohgaku.org/ntp-summer-intensive)
WHEN: July 17 - August 15, 2021 (JST)
Conducted via Zoom, all workshop times will be determined and coordinated once participants are confirmed. The hours of the workshop will be adjusted to accommodate participants time zones.
Interested? Try a sample of the course materials here.
- An official Kita-ryu rehearsal fan sent from Tokyo
- 8 private 30-minute lessons
- 2 lessons per week: one in Japanese with English interpretation and one in English
- All materials necessary for learning excerpted chant sections from four noh pieces.
- Downloadable pdfs of the chant notation
- Downloadable recordings of the chant from master teachers
- Streamable videos of practice techniques including:
- Breathing technique
- Chanting posture
- Streamable videos of chant selections to practice with
- 2 group Q&A sessions with noh professionals including a virtual backstage tour of a noh theatre (Recordings of these will be available online for those who cannot attend due to scheduling)
- A final group recital.
Upon completion of the workshop, participants will be welcome to continue their practice online in Theatre Nohgaku's ongoing Noh Training Project Online utai series with Kita School instructors.
For inquiries, or to register today, please visit the website page which includes an online registration form: https://www.theatrenohgaku.org/ntp-summer-intensive