Indian Institute of Advanced Study
Rashtrapati Nivas, Shimla (India)- 171005
Indian Institute of Advanced Study (IIAS), Shimla (India) is a premier research Institute for advanced study in Humanities and Social Sciences. IIAS was registered on 6 October 1964 under the Registration of Societies Act of 1860 and has since then provided an environment suitable for academic research in the humanities, and the social and natural sciences.
IIAS invites applications throughout the year for the award of residential Fellowships (at the Institute in Shimla). However, selections will be made as and when vacancies arise. Application for advanced research are invited in the following areas:
(a) Social, Political and Economic Philosophy
(b) Comparative Indian Literature (including Ancient, Medieval, Modern Folk and Tribal)
(c) Comparative Studies in Philosophy and Religion
(d) Comparative Studies in History (including Historiography and Philosophy of History)
(e) Education, Culture, Arts including performing Arts and Crafts
(f) Fundamental Concepts and Problems of Logic and Mathematics
(g) Fundamental Concepts and Problems of Natural and Life Sciences
(h) Studies in Environment
(i) Indian Civilization in the context of Asian Neighbours, and
(j) Problems of Contemporary India in the context of National Integration and Nation-building
Brief notes and instructions:
1. Scholars belonging to weaker sections of society and those who are differently abled/physical challenged will be given preference.
2. Applications from scholars working in, and on, the North Eastern region of India are encouraged.
3. Fellows will be required to submit a monograph on the completion of their term. The Institute will evaluate and consider this monograph for publication. The Institute will have the first right of publication and will have the copyright of the monograph submitted by the Fellow.
4. The term of Fellowship for independent and retired scholars would initially be for a period of one year, allowing continuation for another year after evaluation of the work done during the first year. In no case will this continue beyond two years. However, for in-service scholars who want to come for two years, the Fellowship would be awarded for a period of two years subject to the condition that continuation of the Fellowship for the second year would only be granted if the external Evaluation Report of the work done by the Fellow during the first year is positive.
5. The prescribed application form can be downloaded from the website: www.iias.ac.in. The application on the prescribed form may be sent to the Secretary, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Rashtrapati Niwas, Shimla- 171005 (India). Only applications in the prescribed application form would be considered by the Institute.
6. Fellows are expected to remain in residence from 1st March to 15th December. Their stay at the Institute during the winter months is optional. They may proceed on study tours during this period.
7. Proposals involving empirical work requiring data collection through extensive fieldwork would not be considered.
8. The pay of in-service Fellows will be protected. In addition, they will get 20 per cent of their basic pay in case they are maintaining a separate house at the place of their work, other than government accommodation. The Fellowship grant for Fellows who are independent scholars is Rs. 56,400/- per month.
9. Fellows are compulsorily required to stay in Shimla. The Institute provides hard furnished, rent-free accommodation to Fellows in cottages on the Rashtrapati Nivas Estate. In addition, scholars will be provided a fully furnished study, on a sharing basis, with computer and Internet facilities.
10. The Fellows will be provided with free stationary. They will have access to the Institute's vehicles for local travel on payment of nominal charges.
11. Fellows are entitled to free medical treatment at the dispensary of the Institute.
12. It is mandatory for in-service candidates to apply through proper channel.
13. Fellowship applications of scholars who have been Fellows of the Institute within a period of the last five years will not be considered.
14. The short-listed scholars would be invited to make a presentation before the Fellowship Award Committee (FAC). Scholars with proven academic credentials, as decided by Screening Committee, may be exempted from this provision. Those interested can get further details from the Secretary of the Institute who is available on e-mail at email@example.com and may be contacted on 0177-2831379.
For further information regarding the Fellowship programme click here.
Mr. Prem Chand
Indian Institute of Advanced Study
Shimla- 171005 (India)
Phone (Office): +91-177-2831379