International Writing Across the Curriculum Conference
Sweetland Center for Writing
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
June 23-26, 2016
Conference Theme: “Writing Across Difference”
Does writing across disciplinary differences risk writing over other kinds of differences? IWAC 2016 will focus on situating the cross-disciplinarity of WAC/WID within a pedagogy of inclusivity by asking how our pedagogy can broaden ideas of difference within and beyond the classroom to include social, cultural, linguistic, modal, and media differences, among others. In WAC/WID scholarship, writing ideally circulates among these differences, establishes connections and highlights points of conflict, and potentially situates WAC/WID scholars and teachers as agents of change. We welcome proposals that explore ways in which WAC/WID can promote a dialogue on difference and inclusivity and encourage representatives of different WAC/WID populations to offer their multiple voices and perspectives on WAC/WID today.
Questions participants might address include:
- How does composing in different media, different languages or different modes intersect or interrogate disciplinary boundaries?
- What role do social identity and social justice play in IWAC?
- How might questions of difference and inclusivity influence curricular development?
- What role do writing centers play in engaging difference and inclusivity?
- What interdisciplinary approaches to teaching writing promote inclusivity?
- Can interdisciplinary fields work as incubators for new multimodal forms of writing?
- Are there differences among international conceptions and performances of IWAC?
- How does difference contribute to our understanding of writing development and transfer?
- How does writing in academic disciplines contribute to WAC/WID practices?
- What new topics, methods, approaches to WAC/WID will help us think about difference and inclusivity in new ways?
The conference is hosted by the Sweetland Center for Writing at the University of Michigan. Please contact the conference organizers using the email address listed below.