THE SIXTH J. A. ATANDA LECTURES AND CONFERENCE
Third Conference Update
Theme: YORUBA CULTURE AND SOCIETY
Venue: Babcock University, Ilisan-Remo, Ogun State, Nigeria
Date: June 21-23, 2021 (Arrival, June 20)
Conference Information Update 3
Preparations are in top gear for the upcoming Sixth J. A. Atanda Lectures and Conference. With almost 400 abstracts accepted, the Sixth J. A. Atanda Lectures and Conference at Babcock University promises to be enriching, stimulating and exhilarating. As we anticipate this huge and exciting conference, find some information on the conference:
Conference Opening Ceremony: The opening ceremony for the conference is planned for Monday, June 21, 2021, at 12noon. Colleagues and members of the public are cordially invited.
Conference Keynote Addresses and Lead Paper Presentation: The confirmed keynote speakers are:
- Prof. Arinpe Gbekelolu Adejumo, Deputy Provost, Postgraduate School, University of Ibadan, Nigeria;
- Dr. Biodun Ogundayo, Director, Africana Studies Program, University of Pittsburgh, Bradford, USA;
- Dr. Akinloye Ojo, Director, African Studies Institute, University of Georgia, Athens, USA.
Conference Special Guests: Distinguished personalities, Royal fathers, cultural icons and prominent government officials will grace the occasion. More details will follow.
Conference Performance Eve and Award Ceremony: An exhilarating spectacle of unprecedented performances, including Yoruba cultural games, music, dances, folklore in an inspiring atmosphere of indigenous creativity, pageantry and aesthetics, is scheduled for Tuesday, June 22, 2021, at 4 pm. More information on the cultural eve will be circulated soon.
Covid-19 Protocols: Given the Covid-19 pandemic, the event will be hosted in an open-spaced amphitheater, and all Covid-19 protocols will be STRICTLY adhered to. All attendees are expected to be properly masked. (Masks will be provided for all registered participants, and adherence ensured). Sitting positions will be monitored to ensure adequate spacing. Hand sanitisers will be administered, and handwashing facilities will be made available.
Roundtables: Several roundtables on Yoruba Language and Culture related topics have been convened, featuring distinguished and upcoming scholars in African (Yoruba) Studies, African Philosophy, Cultural Studies and Education. More detailed information soon.
Registration & Payment: Registration is free. Sponsorship is for all registered participants WHOSE ABSTRACTS HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED. The sponsorship covers registration materials, feeding and comfortable student hostel accommodation only. With an overwhelming number of registered participants, the REGISTRATION was CLOSED after the given timeline.
Presentation Mode: The conference is planned to be a blended event. Virtual participants will be able to join in the plenary and parallel sessions on zoom. The zoom link will be published close to the conference date. Smartboards and projectors are available for PowerPoint or other visual presentations.
Publication of papers: We affirm that we have every plan in place for quality conference papers to be published with highly reputable publishers after post-conference review and re-submission.
Paper Submission: PowerPoints of presentations are expected on or before the 10th of June, 2021. For publication consideration, corrected drafts of full papers are expected latest August 20, 2021, for reviews to commence. All papers must be original, with a 6,000-8,000 word count, and follow the Chicago Manual Style of referencing.
Security: Babcock University is situated in a serene, safe and secure environment, and the security of all conference participants is assured. We have also put in place additional security measures for the duration of the conference and have left no stone unturned to guarantee that your stay is completely hitch-free in this regard.
Conference Website: Please visit the conference website for regular updates and information, at: https://babcock.edu.ng/atandaconference
For all enquiries, our email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor Bola Sotunsa
For The Sixth J.A. Atanda Lectures and Conference
Local Organising Committee:
- Convener: Professor Toyin Falola, University Distinguished Professor of History and the Jacob and Frances Sanger Mossiker Chair in the Humanities at the University of Texas at Austin. email@example.com
- Convener: Professor Mobolanle E. Sotunsa, Professor of African Oral Literature and Gender Studies, Director of Babcock University Centre for Open Distance and e-Learning (BUCODeL) and Coordinator, Babcock University Gender and African Studies Group (BUGAS); firstname.lastname@example.org
- LoC Chair: Dr Ezinwanyi E Adam, email@example.com (+234-806-353-3265)
- LoC Chair of Secretariat: Dr Oluwatosin Ayanlowo, firstname.lastname@example.org (+234-806-047-7696)
- LoC Registration/Correspondences Coordinator: Ms Paula Idowu: email@example.com
- LoC ICT/Media Coordinator: Mr. Damilare Akinwunmi, firstname.lastname@example.org, (+234-803-810-0008)
- LoC Logistics Coordinator: Mr. Theophilus Afolabi, email@example.com, (+234-703-054-0117)
- Project Coordinator: Mr. Olusegun Olopade, firstname.lastname@example.org (+2348102483872)