CALL FOR PROPOSALS for ACASA-SPONSORED SESSION
CAA 2022 ANNUAL CONFERENCE
CHICAGO, IL, FEBRUARY 16–19, 2022 (FORMAT TO BE DETERMINED)
DEADLINE (to send proposals to ACASA board): APRIL 15th, 2021
As an Affiliated Society, ACASA sponsors one guaranteed session at CAA’s annual meeting. We invite proposals for sessions in all areas of the study of the arts of Africa, and we welcome submissions from professionals and scholars at all stages of their careers. The Annual Conference Committee looks for session that cover the breadth of current thought and research in art, art and architectural history, theory and criticism, pedagogical issues, museum and curatorial practice, conservation, and developments in technology. To submit a proposal to be considered as the ACASA-sponsored session, individuals do not need to be current CAA members. Please note that all participants and chairs of the selected session need to be CAA members and register for the conference. The online registration schedule for the CAA 2022 Annual Conference will be announced shortly.
SUBMISSION FOR ACASA CONSIDERATION
ACASA will sponsor either one Complete Session proposal pre-formed with participants and papers/projects chosen in advance or one Session Soliciting Contributors proposal.
The Complete Session option allows a submission for a complete panel pre-formed with participants and papers/projects chosen in advance by session chairs. This session requires advance planning and information gathering by the chair(s). A panel has a chair, no more than four paper presenters, and can include a discussant. A complete session proposal consists of 1) the panel title and abstract; 2) names, email address, phone number, and institutional affiliation of each participant on the panel; 3) paper titles and an abstract for all the papers. The panel abstract should consist of a statement about the topic and a brief summary of the main argument(s) to be explored (no more than 250 words).
The Session Soliciting Contributors option allows a submission for a full session with yet-to-be identified speakers and papers/projects. If selected by ACASA, such sessions will be included in the call for participation (CFP) which opens on August 12, 2021.
GENERAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
The following guidelines will help prospective participants complete their proposal:
- Session descriptions and paper abstracts should be no more than 250 words in length. All sessions will be 90 minutes in length. Please plan accordingly.
- The accuracy of information entered into the proposal form (e.g. spelling of names, affiliations, titles) is important, as it will be pulled directly from this database for conference publications such as Abstracts 2022 and on the conference website.
- The quality of the panel abstracts is the main criterion for acceptance; a panel with a weak abstract or with two or more weak paper abstracts is unlikely to be accepted. The submission process must be completed online.
- CVs are required for panel proposals where the chair and, if applicable, the co-chair are known. In order to submit a proposal to ACASA for consideration, individuals do not need to be current CAA members. However, all participants of the selected ACASA-Sponsored session will need to be current members to finalize the session submission with CAA by April 30th.
- Online registration for the CAA 110th Annual Conference will be announced shortly.
- April 15, 2021 – Submit proposals for Complete or Session Soliciting Contributors to CAA Liaison, firstname.lastname@example.org and ACASA Secretary, email@example.com.
- April 22 – Selected ACASA-sponsored session will be notified.
- April 30 – Deadline for submission to CAA of chosen ACASA-sponsored session.
- TBA – Online conference registration opens.
The CAA call for proposals is accessible at: http://www.collegeart.org/proposals/
Dr. Bukky Gbadegesin, CAA Liaison, ACASA Board member