Call for Papers
AFRICANIST KNOWLEDGE THAT AGITATES
The Annual Africa Seminar Conference, June 10-12, 2021
With Keynote Speakers:
Executive Director, Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG), Robert Kennedy Human Rights Awardee, Thorolf Rafto Memorial Prize Awardee, Finalist Nobel Peace Prize
Kwame E. Otu
Assistant Professor of African-American and African Studies at the Carter G. Woodson Institute for African-American and African Studies at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia
The Africa Seminar (AfriSem) at Northwestern University’s Program of African Studies, is pleased to announce a Call for Papers for its 6th Annual Graduate Students’ Conference to be held virtually on June 10-12, 2021. AfriSem is a student-driven group that provides an interdisciplinary and area-defined setting for graduate students studying Africa to develop, present, and draw advice on papers and research proposals.
The 2021 conference theme is Africanist Knowledge That Agitates.
Submissions may engage with but not limited to the following:
- Dis/connections between academic and activist knowledge
- Scholar activisms, organizing, collaboration, and engagement
- Decolonization, unsettling of African Studies, science, and government
- Interrogations of epistemological approaches, theories, methods of disciplinary research
- Inquiry into the economic, social, historical, linguistic, genetic, geopolitical, ecological, and biomedical factors that shape and have shaped African societies
- Disciplinary and transdisciplinary research that informs questions that relate broadly to Africanist knowledge
- Art, poetry, performance which interrogates expertise on Africanist knowledge, Africanisms, critical inquiry, and our futures
Contribution formats may include:
- Paper presentation, reading
- Visual media (artwork, photography, fashion)
- Performance (live or recorded)
Abstracts of not more than 250 words should be submitted through this form: https://forms.gle/Li1jEZ35VcixfYqK8
Submission deadline is April 8, 2020.
For more information please email at: firstname.lastname@example.org