The Center for History and Culture of Southeast Texas and the Upper Gulf Coast at Lamar University requests submissions for its annual Summerlee Book Prize. This award recognizes the best book-length publications related to the history, culture, or creative activities of our region, including Southeast Texas and the Gulf Coast from Corpus Christi to Pensacola.
To be eligible in 2021, a book must have been published and copyrighted in 2019 or later. We do not accept self-published books or unpublished manuscripts. The Center encourages submissions from creative and nonfiction disciplines, as well as books that consider our core region within broader national, hemispheric, or global frameworks. In April 2021, the Center will award prizes for $1,000 in two separate categories: creative works and nonfiction. Judges may withhold or divide the awards at their discretion.
Authors and publishers are welcome to nominate relevant works for consideration. To be considered, books must arrive in our office by March 1, 2021. Please mail three copies of the book to: Judith Linsley, Director, Center for History and Culture, PO Box 10048, Lamar University, Beaumont, TX 77710
Previous winners include:
- Sophie White, Voices of the Enslaved: Love, Labor, and Longing in French Louisiana (Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture and the University of North Carolina Press, 2019)
- Cody Smith, Gulf: Poems (Texas Review Press, 2019)
- Merline Pitre, Born to Serve: A History of Texas Southern University (University of Oklahoma Press, 2018)
- Cameron B. Strang, Frontiers of Science: Imperialism and Natural Knowledge in the Gulf South Borderlands (Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture and the University of North Carolina Press, 2018)
- Gretchen Johnson, Single in Southeast Texas (Golden Antelope Press, 2017)
- Ellen Walker Rienstra and Jo Ann Stiles, The Long Shadow: The Lutcher-Stark Lumber Dynasty (University of Texas Press, 2016
Center for History and Culture of Southeast Texas at Lamar University
PO Box 10048, Lamar University, Beaumont, TX 77710