2021 COAST Call for Papers
Climate Change in the Pacific: Exploring Indigenous Voices on Climate Change.
Climate change is unequivocally having a detrimental impact on the lives of many Pacific island peoples. This has only been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, which has put enormous strains on already fragile systems. The lack of media attention on climate change in the wake of the pandemic has shifted global attention from the plight of a number of Pacific islands. As such, it is important to consistently create space for continued discussion on climate change within the Pacific.
With this in mind, The Centre for Austronesian Studies (COAST) within the Institute for the Study of the Asia Pacific (ISAP) at the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) would like to invite papers from various disciplines to explore the current narratives and conversations on the effect of climate change in the Pacific. These papers will be published as an edited volume. Co-authored chapters and interdisciplinary submissions are encouraged.
PhD candidate participation is also welcomed.
Submission themes include but are not limited to:
• Indigenous Voices and Indigeneity in the face of climate change.
• Climate-change denialism within the Pacific and de-colonialization of climate narratives.
• Climate youth activism among Pacific island peoples.
• Constructions of identity and forced relocation of Pacific island peoples.
• Constructions of narrative around Pacific climate concerns.
• Socio-cultural studies and Pacific climate change.
Full paper submissions should be around 6,000-8,000 words in length (not including references) and be original work. Work that has already been published elsewhere will not be accepted.
Proposal submissions should be around 500 words in length.
Please send the proposal as an email attachment to Ms Rowann Fitzpatrick at ISAPUCLan@uclan.ac.uk.
Schedule for submission
• Proposal Submission Deadline: 31st January 2021
• Acceptance Notice: 5th February 2021
• Full Paper Submission Deadline: 6th August 2021
If you have any Enquiries, please email ISAPUCLan@uclan.ac.uk or call us on 01772 89 4511.
01772 89 4511