2021 DEBATE FEBRUARY
CALL FOR VIDEOS TO STUDENTS ALL AROUND THE WOLD!!!
TOURISM AT WORLD HERITAGE SITES
In the framework of the OurWorldHeritage initiative (https://www.ourworldheritage.org/) we invite students (bachelor, Master, PhD) to submit short videos to illustrate the challenges and opportunities tourism offers today for World Heritage sites.
Both tourism and heritage sites are exposed nowadays to critical exogenic and endogenic changes. Among these challenges are the ramifications of COVID-19, and the consequent global economic and social crises. We ask for videos to help raise awareness about the value and meaning of OurWorldHeritage and focus on how tourism can be an ally rather than a threat. We WELCOME a critical review or analysis concerning the World Heritage or of the national sites that concern heritage and tourism based on present challenges and on constructive and complementing synergies.
The Videos may present any World Heritage Site, Cultural, Natural, or Mixed. We would like to privilege approaches that deal with Tourism and the “5Cs”. (https://whc.unesco.org/en/decisions/1217/ and https://whc.unesco.org/en/decisions/5197/)
- the Credibility of the World Heritage List, as a representative and geographically balanced testimony of cultural and natural properties of outstanding universal value; - the effective Conservation of World Heritage properties;
- promote the development of effective Capacity-building measures, including assistance for preparing the nomination of properties to the World Heritage List, for the understanding and implementation of the World Heritage Convention and related instruments;
- increase public awareness, involvement and support for World Heritage through Communication;
- enhance the role of Communities in the implementation of the World Heritage Convention.
The video can choose a transversal approach (how tourism impacts positively or negatively the credibility, Conservation, Capacity-Building, Communication and role of Communities) or a more thematic approach (i.e. the role of Communities).
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO FILM YOUR 1 MIN CLIP:
- Each video clip will have 1 min. for the message, including narration and visuals
- Please make sure your clip is welcoming, accommodating, really speaking to the viewer, explaining, conveying the importance of the topic for OurWorldHeritage.
- A music that you like is welcome (be aware of the copyrights). We accept happy, suspense, activating, severe music.
- The videos need to be filmed in the 'landscape' position.
- When a person is interviewed, time is spared by introducing him/her in the captions.
- Make sure you have good (day)light when filming, take care of shadows, contrasts, etc.
- Make sure that: viewers understand that the aim of the message is not exclusively related to the place or region that you are filming in. For example, when you report on screen, ensure that you have a relatively 'neutral' background (=no pressing or obvious icons in the background).
- If you have no professional audio gear, please narrate inside to avoid background noise/wind/music.
- Make sure the voices sound clear.
- Try to capture images of the 'theme problem' on camera.
- Less is more.
CONDITIONS OF SUBMISSION OF YOUR VIDEO
- All the clips should be submitted in mp4 format.
- All the clips should not exceed the length of 1 minute.
- Selected videos will be published on www.ourworldheritage.org.
- Submit your video at the following address: OurWorldHeritageVideos@boun.edu.tr
We can receive videos from the launch of this call and all through 2021. However, since February 2021 is dedicated to tourism in the framework of the initiative OurWorldHeritage, it will offer a huge opportunity to circulate your video worldwide. We encourage you to send us your videos before January the 15th.