The Department of History and Social Sciences at Marian University-Indianapolis seeks qualified applicants for the position of Full Time Tenure-Track faculty member in History. Ideal areas of specialization included Latin American History, History of Medicine, or History of Science. Preference will be given to candidates with at least 18 graduate credits outside of History that would allow them to assist the department in teaching cross-listed courses in Criminal Justice, Public Health, or Sociology. The Faculty member promotes Marian University’s Catholic mission and identity by contributing to the ongoing development of students and wide ranging programs within the Department of History and Social Sciences.
Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. Marian University has been experiencing significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values, honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, promoting unity in diversity, and integrating the Catholic Franciscan intellectual traditions in courses, programs, and services.
- Teaching load: 24 credits per academic year.
- Contribute to a wide array of teaching outlets, including the general education curriculum, undergraduate major curriculum, and other programs.
- Share in the ongoing development and implementation of department and college activities and projects.
- Engage in research, scholarship, and other professional activities.
- Mentor students through advising, research, and internship opportunities.
- Participate in the life of the campus and university service, including participation in faculty governance and co-curricular programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
- A completed Ph.D. in History or equivalent degree by date of hire.
- Evidence of capacity for effective teaching in higher education.
- Potential for ongoing research, publication, and activity in professional associations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, collaborative, and able to work independently with colleagues throughout the university and in the community.
- Experience with online education is strongly desired.
Founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, Marian University is the only Catholic university in Indianapolis and central Indiana. In 2019, Marian is serving more than 2,400 undergraduate and 1,160 graduate students earning degrees in the arts, business, education, engineering, math, medicine, nursing, ministry, and the natural and physical sciences. The university’s high-impact, experiential curriculum is designed to provide hands-on, collaborative learning opportunities for students from 45 states and 23 nations. Marian climbed in U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Midwest rankings, being named the #3 Most Innovative Regional University, #5 Best Value University, and #28 Best Regional University. Marian University opened its College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013, making it the first new school of medicine in the state of Indiana in 110 years. Marian’s national champion varsity athletic programs include the 2012 and 2015 NAIA Football National Championship, the 2016 and 2017 NAIA Women’s Basketball Championship, 2019 NAIA Volleyball National Championship, and more than 40 USA Cycling national championships.
Review of applications will begin December 31, 2020 and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a letter of application, a current CV, three letters of recommendation, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and a sample of scholarly work. All applications should be submitted to email@example.com.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
To submit YOUR job posting, please visit the H-Net Job Guide: https://www.h-net.org/jobs
Featured jobs receive an added boost on H-Announce and H-Net’s social media channels.