The Language Attitudes and Popular Linguistics Area of the Popular Culture Association is seeking presentations on any language attitude or language-related popular culture topic, such as:
- the language attitudes of X (for example, new baby greeting cards, truck drivers, student writers, first generation immigrants, etc.)
- issues with prescriptivism
- language and advertising or other media;
- professional, corporate, or other industry-related language;
- dialect, code-switching, or historical studies of language and language attitudes;
- animal or extraterrestrial communication;
- language and education, including pedagogical approaches;
- gendered communication or other sociolinguistic topics;
- language and popular literature or television/film
- language and censorship;
- first and second language acquisition;
- any topic that relates to popular linguistics or language attitudes.
This year’s conference will be held in Boston, MA, June 2-5, 2021 (https://pcaaca.org/conference).
All Proposals & Abstracts Must Be Submitted Through The PCA Database (https://pcaaca.org/conference/submitting-paper-proposal-pca-conference). Please submit a proposal to only one area at a time.
Submission Deadline: November 16, 2020
The Language Attitudes & Popular Linguistics area of the PCA gladly ACCEPTS papers from undergraduate students. Please view our Guidelines for Undergraduate Students, which can be found at CFP on the PCA/ACA Website:
There are no specific undergraduate panels in this area. Undergraduate student presentations will be scheduled in the session which topic best aligns with the student’s own subject matter.
2021 CONFERENCE DATES AND DEADLINES
August 12, 2020: Submission Page Goes Live
October 12, 2020: Early Bird Registration Rate Begins
November 16, 2020: Deadline for Paper Proposals and Grant Applications
December 31, 2020: Early Bird Registration Ends
January 1, 2020: Regular Registration Begins
January 31, 2021: Regular Registration Ends
February 1, 2021: Late Registration Begins
January 20, 2021: Preliminary Schedule Available
February 28, 2021: Presenter Late Registration Ends at 11:59 pm; Non-registrants Dropped from Program
February 2, 2021: Non-Presenter Registration Continues through the conference
June 2 – June 5, 2021: National Conference in Boston
All presenters must be current, paid members of the PCA and fully registered for the conference.
Refund requests must be submitted in writing. Full or partial refunds will be processed according to the following schedule:
Requested by Jan. 31: 100% refund
Requested by Feb 7: 75% refund
Requested by Feb 14: 50% refund
Requested by Feb. 21: 25% refund
After Feb. 28: 0% refund
Membership fees are non-refundable.
James G. Mitchell, Ph.D.
Salve Regina University