The journal Gender a výzkum / Gender and Research announces a call for abstracts for a special issue on Childhood, Adolescence and Sexualities edited by Lucie Jarkovská and Sharon Lamb.
Feminist research has always been closely connected with research in the field of sexuality and has helped to unpack the connections between sexual subjectivity, or agency, and the true protection of children, which would include the protection of human rights. Therefore, we see the examination of childhood and adolescent sexualities as a necessary focus for contemporary societies currently facing the conservative backlash.
We welcome articles from scholars in sociology, psychology, philosophy, education, media studies, political science, women’s/girlhood/gender studies, and related fields that focus on (but are not limited to) the following questions, tying theory or research to politics in these areas:
- Sex education
- LGBTQ+ issues in education
- Schools and sexuality
- Political exploitation of childhood sexuality issues
- Intersectional identities and sexuality in children
- Sexualisation of children
- Children's sexuality and identity
- Conflict between recognition of sexual agency and protection
- Sexual subjectivity of children and adolescents
- Gender aspects of child abuse
- Sexuality in childhood and adolescence and technologies (sexting, YouTube, Tik-Tok etc.)
- Sexual health and reproductive justice
- Embodiment, children’s bodies, and sexuality
- Education and pornography
- Sex, race, and racism
- Culture war over childhood sexualities
… and any paper that combines these topics.
If you are interested in publishing a paper in the forthcoming thematic issue, please submit your abstract (max. 250 words) by end of August 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org and to the address of the guest editors: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write ‘childhood sexualities’ in the subject line of your email. Articles may be submitted in English or Czech. We will communicate the decisions on accepted abstracts by September 16. The deadline for submitting full papers is January 31 2021. Papers will then be peer-reviewed. We also welcome book reviews and conference reports and relevant news on the topic of ‘Childhood, adolescence and sexualities.’ If you have a book that you would like reviewed, please suggest to us three potential reviewers and have your publisher send one of the editors a copy. The thematic issue is planned for publication in the journal Gender a výzkum / Gender and Research. There may also be an accompanying online session this Fall in which authors can hear about each others’ work.
More information about the journal Gender a výzkum / Gender and Research: www.genderonline.cz