Call for Submissions:
SNELL PRIZE IN EUROPEAN HISTORY, 2020
European History Section, Southern Historical Association
The John L. Snell Memorial Prize is named for Professor John L. Snell (1923-1972) who was a distinguished scholar and diplomatic historian and a founder of the European History Section. A bomber pilot during World War II, he taught at Tulane University, the University of Pennsylvania, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he received his Ph.D. in 1950.
The Snell Prize is given annually to the graduate student who submits the best seminar research paper in European history, written within the past year. To be eligible, a student must be enrolled in a graduate program at a Southern college or university or be the student of a member of the European History Section. Papers on any aspect and any period of European history or European history in global context are welcome.
The Prize winner will be honored at the annual lunch meeting of the Section in conjunction with the Southern Historical Association meeting in Memphis, Tennessee, in November 2020. The award carries a stipend of $100. The Snell Award winner also receives one complimentary year of student membership in the European History Section of the Southern Historical Association. Occasionally, the Committee will also give an Honorable Mention to a second or third outstanding submission.
All papers must meet the following criteria:
- Students may submit only one paper.
- Only papers written during the academic year immediately preceding the granting of the award, including summer 2020, are acceptable.
- The content of the paper must focus on European history (“European” is defined as encompassing the entire continent, including Russia, from pre-history to the present).
- A letter of endorsement from the supervising faculty member or adviser must accompany the submission. The letter should confirm that paper was written during the academic year immediately preceding the granting of the award, including summer 2020.
- The competition is open only to seminar papers, the length of which shall not exceed 50 pages, including footnotes or endnotes (the bibliography does not count toward this limit).
- While seminar papers may be related to prospective theses or dissertations, they may not be edited-down versions of completed theses or dissertations.
- Manuscripts must be typed in Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced with 1-inch margins on all sides, and include a bibliography and the customary documentation.
One copy must be sent to each of the following three judges (either by hard copy or preferably via e-mail) by 1 August 2020:
Dr. Erica Johnson Edwards Dr. Bryan Banks Dr. Stephen Stillwell
Snell Prize Committee Chair Dept. of History & Geography Retired, Independent Scholar
Francis Marion University Columbus State University 1329 W. Via La Noria
P.O. Box 100547 4225 University Avenue Sahuarita, AZ 85629
Florence, SC 29502 Columbus, GA 31907 firstname.lastname@example.org
Erica Johnson Edwards