CALL FOR PAPERS, ABSTRACTS, AND PANEL PROPOSALS:
Midwest Pop Culture Association / Midwest American Culture Association Annual Conference, Friday, Oct. 2 – Sunday, Oct. 4, 2020
The Jewish Studies area of the Midwest Popular Culture Association / Midwest American Culture Association is now inviting anyone with a fascination for Jewish life and culture to submit their proposals for the 2020 conference in Minneapolis, MN. In a time when Jewish issues and concerns have enhanced visibility in American life – both in cultural and sociopolitical spaces – we are looking for original research that explores these themes.
Potential topics for paper and panel proposals include, but are not limited to:
- Media coverage of Jewish political figures and activists
- Contemporary representations of Jewish women and intersectional feminism
- Changing portraits of Jewish male identity and masculinity onscreen
- Fictionalizing the Holocaust and anti-Semitism (e.g., Jojo Rabbit, Hunters)
- Experiences of Jewishness and queerness
- Class warfare and Jewish identity
- Depictions of faith and religious ritual in popular media
- The Israeli-Palestinian conflict in American media (e.g., Our Boys, The Spy)
- Shifting aesthetic representations of Jewish trauma and memory
- New understandings of the Jewish immigrant experience
- Early images of Jewish life on stage and screen
- Subversive Jewish comedy and performance in popular entertainment
Please submit a paper, abstract, or panel proposal (including the title of the presentation) to the “Jewish Studies” area on the MPCA/ACA submissions website (http://submissions.mpcaaca.org)
Individuals may only submit one paper. Please do not submit the same paper to more than one area.
The submission deadline is April 30, 2020.
Please include the name, affiliation, and e-mail address of each author. A preliminary version of the conference schedule will be posted on our website around August 2020.
Jordan Z. Adler
Ph.D. student, English (Media, Cinema, and Digital Studies)
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee