The Governance Programme at the Aga Khan University Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations (AKU-ISMC) invites academics and practitioners to submit papers and/or creative works on governance, film and television.
Call for Paper / Creative Work
Cinema & Islam
How Filmmaking Shapes Islam and How Islam Shapes Filmmaking
12 JUNE 2020
Filmmakers have always engaged in the production of meanings that shape what Islam means. Through the lens of film as a modern form of popular culture and artistic experience of Islam, this one-day workshop examines the ways in which filmmakers explore Islam as a human and historical phenomenon characterized and constituted, not merely by immense variety and diversity, but by the prodigious presence of outright contradiction shaped by Muslims and Non-Muslims. While the workshop will focus primarily on films from the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia, relevant submissions that deal with other regions are welcome. Papers are encouraged on such questions as:
- − What roles Muslim filmmakers play in shaping diverse film industries
- − How the construction of Islam in film critiques norms or values
- − How Muslim filmmakers negotiate the question of “innovation” in the context of Islamic discourses of censorship
- − How film explores the ways in which Islam advances or restricts the mobility of bodies, institutions, or communities
- − How film deals with the ways in which dominant cultures frame Islam
- − How film depicts Islam in relation to war, migration, climate change, sexual harassment, and freedom of expression
- − How changing are the images of Muslim women on the screen
- − How film critiques legal mediation in the context of Islam and modernity
- − How film deals with fabricated realities within Islam and /or Muslim communities
- − How film deals with politics of Islamic reform/reformation, secularization and state neutrality
- − How film represents Islamic art and architecture
Please send an abstract for paper proposal/creative work (400 words max) to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 20-Feb-2020.
Notifications of acceptance decisions will be sent out by 29-Feb-2020.
A limited fund to support scholars who do not have access to institutional funding will be available to cover travel and accommodation costs. Please indicate if you need this financial support when applying. For inquiries about the workshop please email Dr. Heba Abdelfattah at Heba.Abdelfattah@aku.edu