Shiv Nadar University
Department of EnglishCall for Applications
The Department of English at Shiv Nadar University (SNU) is seeking applicants for a research workshop focused on writing research proposals for PhD programs. SNU is a private, residential, inter-disciplinary, research university on the outskirts of Delhi. The Department of English is a vibrant, inter-disciplinary and research-intensive department which offers a wide range of innovative modules for Bachelors and Masters degrees led by faculty from international universities. We will be opening a call for applicants for our PhD program.
The PhD program at SNU is fully funded, with a stipend of Rs. 50,000/- per month. Applicants are expected to submit a well-researched proposal, setting out
- a well-defined scope and stakes of their proposed research: what is the intended focus of their research? What are their primary and secondary materials? Why is the research important/ What is new about their research?
- a well-formulated research question: what is the driving question behind their research agenda?
- a good understanding of the research methods and methodologies required: how are they going to approach their materials? Will it help answer their main research question(s)?
- a good understanding of the field in general: what kind of work has already taken place in the pertinent field, and especially in relation to their particular research focus?
- If there is a particular faculty member they would like to be supervised by, whose research interests overlap with those of the applicant.
The research workshop will outline and familiarize the prospective applicants with the above questions, especially relating to research program, research methods and methodologies, the research proposal and the department’s areas of expertise which include narrative theory, Reader Response Theory, Victorian literature, periodical press and women's writing, computational linguistics, materiality and cultural heritage in women's writing, translation, folk literature, digital humanities, curation, book history, popular culture, South Asian culture and literature, and epic narratives. A detailed list of faculty expertise is also available at https://english.snu.edu.in/people/faculty.
Applications are invited from those interested in pursuing a PhD starting from the academic year 2020. Applicants are required to submit their CVs (no more than two pages) and a brief 500 words description of the proposed research including a brief outline of their research interests and proposed field and materials to Mamta Nagar, Executive Assistant, English Department, Shiv Nadar University at email@example.com, by 11.59 pm, 2nd February, 2020.
The research workshop will be held on 28th and 29th February, 2009, at SNU. Assistance with transport from Delhi will be arranged by the department on the campus itself. A limited amount of money is available for candidates travelling from outside Delhi, with a maximum limit of one AC 3 tier train ticket per applicant. Arrangements for accommodation and food will be made by the department on campus. Applicants are required to inform the organisers about their travelling and dietary requirements when they submit their applications so that adequate arrangements can be made.
In case of queries please email Dr. Chinmay Sharma at firstname.lastname@example.org at the earliest.