Eastern International Region of the American Academy of Religion
April 3-5, 2020
Washington & Jefferson College
60 S. Lincoln Street
Washington, Pennsylvania 15301
Deadline for proposal submissions is February 1, 2020
The Eastern International Region (EIR) of the American Academy of Religion (AAR) invites scholars and students in the academic discipline of Religion and closely related fields to submit proposals for the 2020 Regional Conference "Religion and Democracy: Global and Local." The aim is to explore both “religion” and “democracy” as categories of knowledge and carriers of value across cultural and national boundaries. We aim to spark conversations on the ways that religion and democracy can evolve and intersect across time and space. Our keynote speakers Dr. Amir Hussain (Loyola Marymount University), and Dr. Kimberly Conner (University of San Francisco) will discuss the public understanding of religion.
This year the EIR Annual Conference will be composed of thematic Program Units. Proposals will be submitted for the consideration of a particular unit. Members may submit proposals for a maximum of two Program Units. All methodological approaches and areas of study within Religious Studies are encouraged. The Program Committee also welcomes proposals for non-traditional sessions such as roundtables, dialogues, book discussions, etc.
- Borders, Place, and Space
- Conflict and Peace
- Contemporary Theology
- Cultural and Religious Appropriation
- Ecology and the Environment
- Gender, Sexualities, and Power
- Material Religion
- Media, Music, and Popular Culture
- Migration and Movement
- New Religious Movements
- Pluralism and Globalization
- Religion and Politics
- Texts and their Interpretation
- Religious Trauma and Healing
- Women in/and Religion
FORMAT FOR PROPOSALS
- One-page abstract (250 words maximum) describing the nature of the paper or panel.
- Cover page that includes the submitter’s full name, title, institution, status at the institution (undergraduate, graduate student, faculty, staff, etc.), phone number, fax number, e-mail, mailing address, and the Program Unit for each paper proposal.
- If you require technological support for your presentation/panel (such as an Internet connection or audio and projection equipment), please note this in your proposal.
- For panel proposals, identify the primary contact person.
- Proposals must be sent to email@example.com by the February 1, 2020 deadline.
Scholars from any AAR/SBL region may participate and attend. Only those proposals received by the February 1, 2020 deadline will be considered for inclusion in the program. Presentations are limited to twenty minutes, with ten minutes allowed for questions. Registration for the EIR Conference will open on February 15, 2020. For conference updates and additional information please visit www.eiraar.net and click like on the Eastern International Region of the American Academy of Religion Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Eastern-International-Region-of-the-American-Academy-of-Religion-2627450380663413/
Cynthia A. Hogan, Ph.D.
Washington & Jefferson College
Regionally Elected Coordinator
Eastern International Region
American Academy of Religion