CALL FOR PAPERS
MESAAS Graduate Student Conference, March 5-6, 2020
Columbia University, Department of Middle Eastern South Asian and African Studies, New York City
The MESAAS Graduate Student Conference is an annual event organized by the graduate students of Columbia University’s Department of Middle Eastern, South Asian and African Studies. The conference brings together graduate students working on the social and intellectual traditions of those three regions for constructive exchanges in a welcoming and stimulating environment. Through these exchanges, participants have the opportunity to learn from each others' diverse range of backgrounds by exploring common theoretical and methodological challenges and concerns. In this year's conference, we invite papers that speak to the following themes:
- Political economy and social history; rethinking histories of capitalism Histories of resistance: e.g. leftist, anti-capitalist, and feminist movements in the Global South.
- Theory in motion and translation; intellectual history; transmission of intellectual currents between Europe and the non-West
- The study of mysticism; devotional traditions; encounters across religious traditions
- Imperialism and colonialism; debates around the scope of colonialism; histories of empire; colonialism and modernity in the non-West; gender and empire
- Aesthetics; literature; literary criticism across premodern and modern periods
- Law and political structures; pre-colonial or pre-modern forms of governance and collective life; legal colonialism
Abstracts of up to 400 words should be submitted to email@example.com by January 14, 2020. Submission emails should include name and a brief bio. Authors of accepted papers will be notified by January 21, 2020. Conference papers are due on February 29, 2020.