Precision Agriculture Technologies for Food Security and Sustainability
Call for Publications
Environmental History / Studies
Call for Book Chapters
Book Title: “Precision Agriculture Technologies for Food Security and Sustainability”
To be published by IGI Global, an international publisher of progressive academic research indexed by Scopus
This call for book chapters is seeking chapter proposals for a book in Precision Agriculture Technologies to be published by IGI Global, an international publisher of progressive academic research indexed by Scopus, Clarivate Analytics, INSPEC, PsycINFO, WEB OF SCIENCE, and other Indices. This publication is anticipated to be released in 2021.
Aimand Scope: This book is about the management concept known as Precision Agriculture (PA), also known as precision farming, site specific crop management, or precision agronomy. PA integrates new technologies with the agronomic experience to intelligently manage the high spatial variability of all agricultural variables and the time-scales at which these variables change in such a way that consolidates the agricultural decision making process to take the right action in the right place at the right time. It is proven that the right application of PA helps to increase the size and quality of the agriculturalproduction, saves resources, improves environmental quality, helps to achieve self-sufficiency, food security and agricultural sustainability, increases exports, in addition to other economic benefits.
This book is dedicated to the usage of the engineering technologies: electronics, information technologies, communication networks, renewable energy systems, artificial intelligence, etc. in PA systems span all of the agricultural diversities, to collect field data, convey it, record, process and analyze the collected data, extract decisions and take automatic or manual actions.
The field of PA despite its oldness it will remain an emerging field bears continuous appearance of new trends, technologies, implementations, and methods especially with the continuous advancements in the supporting technologies, therefore there is a need to periodically issue a reference tries to accommodate the new in this field. This book is aimed to be a reference for PA systems advancements as well as a source for PA concepts streamline for beginners, a guide for entrepreneur by showing them PA startups case studies, an educational and research material, a guide for governments and world organizations to initiate programs and projects serves the local or international PA status, a resource for economical studies, and a wealth of innovative and practical ideas for industry. Also, this book is not intended for a specific type of agriculture but it can address precision farming in open agricultural lands, smart automated greenhouses, precision garden cultivation, smart hydroponic and aquaponic systems, smart urban farming systems, or precision livestock farming.
It is aimed for this book to represent a comprehensive approach introduces PA from the technology, policy, business, marketing, and economic perspectives, an educational book and a standard reference for a broad range of audience who has a past experience in the field or a small knowledge.
The expected main impact of this book is two-fold: the facilitation and improvement of PA systems implementation by providing system models, hardware and software ideas, tools, and examples, WSN and IoT complete systems implementations, highlighting different technologies and tools for selection; as well as its impact from the research perspective.
Main and Sub-topics of Interest Include, but are not limited to:
Main Topic 1: Introduction to Precision Agriculture: Overview, Concepts, World Interest, Policy, and Economics:
- PA Overview, History, Basics, Components, Tools and Technologies, Benefits, Challenges, Taxonomies, and Surveys. - Precision and Automation of Agriculture Diversities: Horticulture, Greenhouses, Livestock Farming, Urban Farming, Soilless Culture, and Aquaponics. - PA Systems by Application: Field Mapping, Yield Monitoring and Management, Crop Scouting, Irrigation Management, Inventory Management, Weather Tracking & Forecasting, etc. - Recent Advances in PA. -The Economics of PA. - PA Market Segmentation and Analysis. - PA Systems and Technologies Feasibility Study, Valuation, Monetization, and Commercialization Strategies. - PA Actors and Stakeholders: Government, Private Industrial Sectors, and Universities & Research Institutes. - The Public Policy and PA. - Education Systems for Farming Community on Using PA Systems and Technologies - PA and the United Nations SDG: Impact, Statistics, Possible Contribution, etc.
Main Topic 2: Agricultural Systems Analysis Streamline For Dummies: Explaining the Sub-Disciplines of Agronomy Towards Precision Agronomics: (with block diagram of the model specifies the real-time or historical inputs and outputs, and contains sub-blocks for the explained model functional components and the relations between them)
- Process-based Modeling Such as Crop Modeling, Gases Emissions and Dynamics, Climatic Issues, Fertilization Models, Early Warning Models, etc. - Economic Optimization and Simulation Models. - Statistical and Prediction Models Such as Time Series, Panel, Cross-Sectional, Bayesian Calibration, etc. - Integration Between Models for Better Functionality. - Variable Rate Technology (VRT). - Soil Sampling and Mapping. - Yield Mapping. - Management Zones Development
Main Topic 3: PA Hardware:
- Autonomous Farm Machines and Auto-steer Technology Using Remote Sensing Methods Such as Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) Technology and Global Positioning System (GPS). - Drone Technology/Aerial Imagery. - Agricultural Robots. - Sensors for Sensing Different Agricultural Phenomena. - Nanotechnology for Smart Agricultural Sensors. - Sensor Nodes for Wireless Sensor Network Application in PA. - Actuator Nodes and the Actuated Farm Machines for Wireless Sensor Network Application in PA. - Renewable Energy Resources Approaches, Products, and System for PA. - SmartGrid & PA Technologies. - Energy-saving Designs and Technologies for PA. - Evaluation and Testing Tools and Methods.
Main Topic 4: PA Software:
- GIS-based Software. - Simulation, Design, and Testing Software Tools. - Decision Support System (DSS) and Expert Systems for PA. - AI, Big Data, Data Mining Approaches and Tools for PA Data Management. - Web-based and Mobile Application Designs for PA Software.
Main Topic 5: Wireless Sensor Network solutions for PA Applications Including Network Architecture, Deployment, Node firmware, Networking protocols.
Main Topic 6: Internet of Things Use Cases for PA Systems.
Main Topic 7: Do It Yourself: Step by Step Complete Implementation of PA Small and Intermediate Level Projects and Proof-of-Concept Experiments.
Main Topic 8: PA Current Status and Future Vision:
- The Existing Real-World PA Implementations and Large Scale Projects. - PA Startups Guidelines and Existing Case Studies . - PA-related Projects, Programs, and Initiatives Launched Under the Umbrella of 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. - PA Current Status by Country: Systems, Products , Intellectual Property, Startups, etc. - Science Fiction for PA Trends and Technologies in the Far Future.
Researchers and practitioners are invited to submit on or before Nov24, 2019, a chapter proposal of 1,000 to 2,000 words clearly explaining the mission and concerns of his or her proposed chapter through the link: https://www.igi-global.com/publish/call-for-papers/call-details/4314. Authors will be notified by Dec 8, 2019, about the status of their proposals and sent chapter guidelines. Full chapters are expected to be submitted by Jan 23, 2020, and all interested authors must consult the guidelines for manuscript submissions at http://www.igi-global.com/publish/contributor-resources/before-you-write/ prior to submission. All submitted chapters will be reviewed on a double-blind review basis. Contributors may also be requested to serve as reviewers for this project.
Note: There are no submission or acceptance fees for manuscripts submitted to this book publication, Precision Agriculture Technologies for Food Security and Sustainability. All manuscripts are accepted based on a double-blind peer review editorial process.