The Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, Massachusetts is now accepting applications for the 2020 Steiner Summer Yiddish Program, A seven-week intensive course in Yiddish language & culture for college students running May 31–July 17, 2020.
In the Steiner Summer Yiddish Program, undergraduate and graduate students ages 18-26:
- take a full year of language courses in seven weeks, tuition-free
- gain substantive knowledge of Central and Eastern European Jewish history and culture in seminars with leading scholars of literature, film, music, and history
- earn up to six college credits upon successful completion of the program
- experience contemporary Yiddish culture during a field trip to New York City, where they tour Yiddish-speaking neighborhoods and attend cultural events
- attend the Yiddish Book Center’s Yidstock: The Festival of New Yiddish Music
- participate in paid internships, gaining professional experience working on Yiddish-based projects (intermediate-level students only)
- create a community of peers from around the world in a residential environment
The program is tuition-free and limited housing subsidies are available for beginner students who demonstrate a financial need. Intermediate students participating in the internship receive a housing subsidy plus a $1,000 stipend. Applications are due February 10, 2020.
Questions? Contact Phoenix Wyatt, Steiner Summer Yiddish Program Coordinator, at email@example.com or (413) 256-4900, ext. 144