Call for proposals: Papers, Sessions, Panels
Popular Culture Association Annual Conference
April 15-18, 2020 at the Downtown Philadelphia Marriott, Philadelphia, PA
The Sixties area of the Popular Culture Association welcomes submissions on any aspect of popular culture from the era. Topics of interest might include, but are not limited to:
- Film, television, radio, and other media (underground press etc.)
- Analysis of influential books/authors or arts/artists
- Religion and spirituality
- Sex, drugs, and rock ‘n roll
- Music and fashion as cultural expression and consumer culture
- New social arrangements e.g. communes, back to the land movement
- 1968 or other significant dates, places, or events, e.g. Days of Rage, etc.
- Countercultural movements—Hippies, SDS, Black Panther Party, the White Panther Party, etc.
- Politics and protests of the era e.g. Civil Rights, Vietnam
- Race and gender issues e.g. the 1968 Olympic Project for Human Rights, NOW
- Media reactions and representations
- The counterculture or other developments in international/global contexts
- Ongoing significance of the decade in contemporary society and culture
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: November 1, 2019.
Authors of accepted abstracts will be notified by November 30, 2019.
For individual papers, please submit a title and 100-250-word abstract.
Inquiries about possible papers or proposals for round table sessions or full panels are also welcomed and encouraged. For themed paper sessions, each presenter must enter her/his own presentation and then contact the area chair to assemble them into a panel.
All proposals should be submitted online via the PCA/ACA website: http://ncp.pcaaca.org. More information about the submission process can be found here: https://pcaaca.org/help/conference/submitting-proposals-conference
All presenters must be members of the PCA and must register for the conference. Here is the schedule of deadlines and pertinent dates:
1 August Database Opens for Submissions
1 October Registration Opens
1 November Deadline for Paper Proposals
1 December Early Bird Registration Rate Ends
1-2 January 2020 Regular Registration Ends/Late Registration Begins
20 January 2020 Preliminary Program Available
1 February 2020 “Drop Dead”: Participants Not Registered Removed from Program
15-18 April 2020 Philly!
Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions about topics, process, or the conference in general.
Kevin M. Moist
Associate Professor of Communications
Communications Program Chair
Penn State Altoona
3000 Ivyside Park
Altoona, PA 16601