CALL FOR PAPERS
Counter-narratives and Hidden Histories
Irish Association for American Studies 50thAnniversary Conference
Maynooth University, Co. Kildare.
3-4 April 2020
As the IAAS turns 50 in 2020, we are delighted to announce that a special anniversary conference will be hosted at Maynooth University on 3rdand 4thApril. In keeping with the Association’s ongoing ethos of providing space and opportunity to voices, stories, and bodies historically marginalised by dominant discourses, IAAS 2020 invites submissions on the theme of ‘Counter-narratives and Hidden Histories’.
Confirmed keynote speaker: Professor Amy Mooney(Columbia College Chicago; Terra Foundation for American Art Visiting Professor at the University of Oxford).
Abstracts for individual papers, panels, or roundtables are welcomed on topics related to this broad theme across all disciplines of American and Latin American Studies, including:
- Education and pedagogy
- Politics and International Relations
- Theatre and Performance Studies
- Visual Culture
The conference will also host a special roundtable session on ‘Anti-racist Teaching and Scholarship’, and welcomes submissions of individual abstracts considering, for example, whiteness in academia, academia and activism, teaching ‘race’, and other related subjects.
- Please provide an abstract of no more than 250 words, along with your name and a brief biography.
- Please provide a brief description of your panel (3 presenters), along with the names and brief biographies of the proposed presenters, and an individual abstract (250 words) for each paper.
- The composition of panels should be diverse whenever possible, and all-male panels should be avoided.
- Please provide a brief description of your roundtable (between 4 and 8 presenters), along with the names and brief biographies of the proposed presenters, and an individual abstract for each paper (no more than 100 words).
- The composition of roundtables should be diverse, and all-male roundtables will not be accepted.
There will be concession rates for students, ECRs, and scholars on fixed-term contracts. Bursaries are also available.
Deadline for submissions: 1st November 2019
Please send submissions to: IAAS2020conference@gmail.com
Please send enquiries to: Catherine.Gander@mu.ie
Dr Catherine Gander
Maynooth, Co. Kildare