Call for Submissions
The 2019 SNELL PRIZE IN EUROPEAN HISTORY
The European History Section of the Southern Historical Association
Deadline: August 1, 2019
The John L. Snell Memorial Prize is named for Professor John L. Snell (1923-1972) who was a distinguished scholar and diplomatic historian and a founder of the European History Section. A bomber pilot during World War II, he taught at Tulane University, the University of Pennsylvania, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he received his Ph.D. in 1950.
The Snell Prize is given annually to the graduate student who submits the best seminar research paper in European history, written within the past year. Papers on any aspect and any period of European history or European history in global context are welcome.
The Prize winner will be honored at the annual lunch meeting of the Section in conjunction with the Southern Historical Association meeting in Louisville, Kentucky, in November 2019. The award carries a stipend of $250.
The Snell Award winner also receives one complimentary year of student membership in the European History Section of the Southern Historical Association. Occasionally, the Committee will also give an Honourable Mention to a second or third outstanding submission.
The competition is open to graduate students of any member of the Section or of a program at a Southern college or university.
All papers must meet the following criteria:
- Students may submit only one paper.
- Only papers written during the academic year immediately preceding the granting of the award, including summer 2019, are acceptable.
- The content of the paper must focus on European history (“European” is defined as encompassing the entire continent, including Russia, from pre-history to the present).
- A letter of endorsement from the supervising faculty member or adviser must accompany the submission. The letter should confirm that paper was written during the academic year immediately preceding the granting of the award, including summer 2019.
- The competition is open only to seminar papers, the length of which shall not exceed 50 pages, including footnotes or endnotes (the bibliography does not count toward this limit).
- While seminar papers may be related to prospective theses or dissertations, they may not be edited-down versions of completed theses or dissertations.
- Manuscripts must be typed in Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced with 1-inch margins on all sides, and include a bibliography and the customary documentation.
One copy must be sent to each of the following three judges (either by hard copy or preferably via e-mail) by 1 August 2019:
Dr. Thomas J. McSweeney Dr. Erica Johnson Dr. Bryan Banks
Snell Prize Committee Chair Department of History Dept. of History & Geography
William & Mary Law School Francis Marion University Columbus State University
P.O. Box 8795 P.O. Box 100547 4225 University Avenue
Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795 Florence, SC 29502 Columbus, GA 31907
Thomas J. McSweeney
William & Mary Law School
P.O. Box 8795
Williamsburg, VA, 23187-8795