CALL FOR PROPOSALS FOR ACASA-SPONSORED SESSION
CAA 108th ANNUAL CONFERENCE
CHICAGO, FEBRUARY 12 - 15. 2020
DEADLINE for proposals to the ACASA board: April 19th, 2019
ADDRESS: Send proposals electronically to
Bukky Gbadegesin, CAA Liaison, email@example.com
and copy Cynthia Becker, ACASA Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org
ACASA sponsors one session at CAA’s annual meeting.
We invite proposals for sessions in all areas of the study of the arts of Africa, and we welcome submissions from professionals and scholars at all stages of their careers. The Annual Conference Committee looks for session that cover the breadth of current thought and research in art, art and architectural history, theory and criticism, pedagogical issues, museum and curatorial practice, conservation, and developments in technology.
All sessions will be 90 minutes in length.
To submit a proposal to be considered as ACASA-sponsored, individuals do not need to be current CAA members. However, membership to CAA will be needed to finalize the submission through the CAA portal. Eventually, please note that all session participants and leaders will need to be CAA members and to register for the conference. Online registration for the CAA 108th Annual Conference will begin on October, 2019.
SUBMISSION FOR ACASA CONSIDERATION
ACASA will sponsor either one Complete Session proposal (90 minutes in length) pre-formed with participants and papers/projects chosen in advance or one Session Soliciting Contributors proposal (90 minutes in length) to be included in the CFP which opens early July.
Session Soliciting Contributors
The Session Soliciting Contributors option allows a submission for a full session (90 minutes in length) with yet-to-be identified speakers and papers/projects. If selected by ACASA, such sessions will be included in the call for participation (CFP) which opens early July.
The Complete Session option allows a submission for a complete panel (90 minutes in length) pre-formed with participants and papers/projects chosen in advance by session chairs. This session requires advance planning and information gathering by the chair(s).
A panel has a chair, no more than four paper presenters, and can include a discussant.
A complete session proposal consists of 1) the panel title and abstract; 2) names, email address, phone number, and institutional affiliation of each participant on the panel; 3) paper titles and an abstract for all the papers. The panel abstract should consist of a statement about the topic and a brief summary of the main argument(s) to be explored (no more than 250 words).
GENERAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
The following guidelines will help prospective participants complete their proposal:
- All sessions will be 90 minutes in length. Please plan accordingly.
- Following ACASA selection, the sponsored panel must be submitted online on the CAA portal.
- In order to submit a proposal to ACASA for consideration, individuals do not need to be current CAA members. However, all participants of the selected ACASA-Sponsored session will need to be current members to finalize the session submission with CAA by April 30th.
- Online registration for the CAA 108th Annual Conference will begin in October 2019.
- CVs are required for panel proposals where the chair and, if applicable, the co-chair are known.
- Session and paper abstracts should be no more than 250 words in length.
- The accuracy of information entered into the proposal form (e.g. spelling of names, affiliations, titles) is important, as it will be pulled directly from this database for conference publications such as Abstracts 2020 and on the conference website.
- The quality of the panel abstracts is the main criterion for acceptance; a panel with a weak abstract or with two or more weak paper abstracts is unlikely to be accepted. The submission process must be completed online.
- If their proposals are accepted, CAA members may now participate in session panels in consecutive years.
- April 19th – Submit Proposal to ACASA Board
- April 26th – Chosen Sponsored-Panel will be notified
- April 30th – Deadline for submission to CAA of chosen Sponsored-Panel
- October 2019 – Online conference registration opens
- December 2019 – Early conference registration closes
The CAA call for proposals is accessible at: http://www.collegeart.org/proposals/