Is your lifelong dream to retrace the steps of Peter Fleming in Kashgar? To explore Anatolian kilim fragments in an Ethiopian monastery? The Ancient & Modern Research Prize is awarded to candidates under age 27 or over age 60 to support research and exploration.
The Ancient & Modern Prize was established in 2000 to provide support for scholars who miss out on funding because they are either too young or too old. The winner of the Ancient & Modern Prize receives £1,000, and the runner-up receives the Godfrey Goodwin Prize of £500.
These areas include textile arts of all cultures and periods (Halı) and the art, archaeology, culture, history, and cultural heritage of civilizations in Turkey (Cornucopia). As long as it pertains to one of the above subject areas, there is no restriction on geographic location or time period.
Research areas include, but are not limited to:
- textile arts of East Asia, the Indian subcontinent, Central Asia, the Caucasus, the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and the Americas
- Islamic textiles from all periods and geographies
- textile collections around the world
- contemporary and historical textile production and conservation
- Greek, Roman, Byzantine, Ottoman, and Turkish art and history
- archaeology from the earliest prehistoric times through the Bronze and Iron Ages, the Classical, Byzantine, and Ottoman periods, and into contemporary times
- the history of cuisine in Anatolia and neighbouring regions
- the cultural heritage of modern Turkey
- the influence of Turkish art and culture in other regions of the world
The award can be used for travel, material expenses and sustenance whilst the research is underway. Priority will be given to projects which would not easily find funding and which display originality.
Winners will be invited to contribute a blog post or article to Halı or Cornucopia after the project ends.
Please send any questions and applications by email to Julie Witford and Lauren Davis: email@example.com
By post to The Secretary, Ancient & Modern, PO Box 13311 Hawick, TD9 7YF, United Kingdom